• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

I think thats sweet, they are so easy to fall in love with. I have never had a pet before.......but my 17yr old daughter begged me to get a Cav. We are so obsessed with him.

first i have got to say omg!!! how cute!!!! your picture of katrina and the pup is the most adorable ever. :wggle: if you have read any of my posts you will know that most of them are to do with some worry or another. :? but unlike any of my children aged 16 15 and 10. jadan doesnt answer back, isnt late in, is always happy to see me and greet me with a big waggy tail and will listen endlessly to anything i have to say!!! with out a sarky comment, is the first at the dinner table. goes to bed on time, isnt badgered into more excersice as is happy to oblige, loves his bath, helps with the dishes ;) checks whos at the door, lets me know when the cat wants to come in, is always ready for a cuddle and the list goes on and on. i love him to bits cos he loves me to bits back unconditionally and not just because i have treated him to the latest must haves! icon_whistling i had always been a cat person but since having my j, must admit i am totally converted. :flwr:

I have to agree too.....Cavaliers are really different than other breeds. I've had Poodles and Shelties, and I loved them all, and they were all loving and wonderful companions. But, well, Cavaliers are just so in tune with you emotionally, more so than other breeds. I still do have a toy Poodle, he is Bentley's (my Cavalier) best buddy, and I love Bailey my Poodle so much, but he is more aloof than Bentley is. I'd be so lost without them, they're both my family.

I too can totally relate to this post! We've had Gracie month now and I am getting better, but I still worry about her so much! In the beginning, I had diagnosed her with about every serious ailment I read about online. :sl*p: While I'm sure that some of that has to do with the fact that she's our first puppy...much of it has got to do with the fact that I was immediately so emotionally attached to her.

I know that eventually something will happen to her...it's inevitable that she will eventual get sick or hurt and I dread that. I knew about MVD...that seemed manageable. SM, on the other hand, is just flat out scary. I obsessed about every scratch and weird movement for the first week or so. But, now I've started to get better with that and enjoy now rather than worry about what might be.

What I do still have a lot of trouble with is leaving her at home. I worry so much when I'm not there to watch out for her. As awful as it will be when she's sick for the first time, I can only imagine how horrible I would feel if something happen to her while we weren't home. That said, she has a very safe crate and a very safe room fo when we're gone for longer periods.

Anyway, I've found this experience has brought out very maternal instincts in me! We're looking to start our family in a couple of years, until then we have our first (fur)baby!

Well, I have to say I'm a worrier by nature. It drives my hubby crazy. He is just the opposite. I can't say that I worry about Lily more than I worried about my Lhasa, except for the fear of SM. My Old English Sheepdog I got when I was 17, and I had her until I was 31. She was a great dog and she got me through a bad divorce and the death of my Dad when I was 24. I loved her dearly, but never really had to worry about her because she was hardly ever sick. My Lhasa I got 13 years ago, and I worried about her constantly from about 6 mos old when she had her first major illness and almost died. She was my constant companion up until 4 years ago when I had to move and couldn't take her, which broke my heart. My Mom kept her, and then she and my Mom bonded so much that I couldn't take her away from my Mom when I moved back. As much as I loved her, she was a difficult doggy and only wanted to be loved on her terms. When I got Lily, I was looking for an affectionate and sweet natured dog. She is all that and more. I have said this before, she is unlike any dog I have ever known. She has turned my hubby, who was not even a dog lover into mush. He said that these dogs are really more like human babies and I agree. Sorry, I have gotten off topic here. So my bottom line answer is except for fear of SM. I don't think in my case, she has been more stressful than my Lhasa. Hopefully, that won't change.

Shay, excellent point! The extra worry is so worth it for every Cavalier kiss...and repaid many times over with all of that selfless Cavalier love! :flwr:

You guys are absolutely nuts - NOT

I had written a long, eloquent email but my computer decided that it couldn't get to the website. Lucky for you guys, huh?

My one and only daughter was born when I was 23, and would not let me hold her. Talk about frustrating! She's always been an independent spirit and has always said that I'm an over-protective Mom.

I fall in love deep and hard for my pets - probably more so now that I don't live near my daughter. I weep and grieve for days. I think that's one reason I've taken so many classes on how to deal with the death of a pet and have read lots of books on the subject. So many people are ashamed to admit that they do feel genuine loss and grief when they loose a pet. Fear of ridicule from the general public that isn't pet loving.

My biggest worry these days is Wallis. She's getting on in years, her hearing is not what it used to be, she has only the one eye. We came in the other day and she was lying in the living room on her bed. I called to her more than once and she didn't move. I started crying right them, as Bubba walked over to her and touched her and she moved. She needs to have surgery and I (a)don't trust my vet and (b)don't want to leave her overnight when I can watch her better at home. I have been referred to another vet who is very familiar with Cavaliers so I'm going to be taking her there soon.

We almost lost Tibby last year to HGE. Bubba was in denial that all the blood that was coming from both ends was really serious and wanted to wait until the next morning to have her seen. I had already hit my books and knew that she might not last the night at the rate she was going. I had told him that one more bloody incident of any kind and we were going to the emergency clinic. He quietly admitted that she had vomited blood again so I made a phone call and we were gone. (The vet was pretty impressed that I had already made the diagnosis and just about everybody there was asking me to fill out an application. I wasn't in shape to do it then, but am thinking about it now.)

I worry about the girls because when I went out of town to get away from hurricanes a couple of years ago, SOMEONE decided that they shouldn't be kept in crates any more when they were left here. I still fuss about that, to no avail. I am of the belief that a dog is happier and more secure when it knows that it has a place it can go that is its own where no one will bother it. So much for me and what I think!

I've had many pets and have lost many pets, but the hardest one will be Wallis, no doubt. I cry just thinking about it. I don't know what Bubba will do with me.

And you guys!! You're killing me with all these puppies! I keep making him come in here and look at the pictures so his biological doggie clock will start ticking!

Some of us will worry about any and everything (that's my hand you see raised for that one); some of us will pick and choose what we worry about; but I think that most of us would be hard pressed not to worry about the pets that give us such joy.

Owning Izzy is very stressful as he has had last stage MVD for over two years. Any day could be his last, but i'm so grateful for the bonus 2 years, so far. I worry that Joly will get MVD , as his grandfather has it, but then at 10 plus, his murmur is still mild, as is Monty's and he's 11.

I have an appt for the girls with the new vet on Wednesday and will probably be a basket until then. We went to Jacksonville tonight and didn't get home until a bit after 2 a.m. The cat was on Wallis's bed so she was on the floor, halfway on a pillow and halfway under the bed and she couldn't get out by herself. I've cried and cried................

Back