• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

I no i just expect every where to allow dogs because i see her as my baby and if they tell she's not aload in somewhere i go mad ,it's sad but true.
Sure one day my mum asked me to go for lunch with her so i took lady along as i only had her 3 weeks but we went to a pub for carvery and i put her in my handbag as she fit queit comfortable :D and my coat over my arm and sat down the back it was so funny she kept sticking her head out to see what was happening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the staff had seen her they would've trough me out

When Stewie was a pup, he fit perfectly in my purse (he literally fit in the palm of my hand at 12 weeks :D ) I snuck that little puppy with me EVERYWHERE!! He went to the aquarium, the movies, restaraunts, museums etc). It was great because his poofy little face would stick out the side of the bag and usually I only got spotted by children because they were eye level with him under my arm :lol: I miss those days!!

Katie said:
I suppose if one doesn't have kids these dogs really can wind themselves round your heart in a similar way! Even so, one does have to get a sense of perspective and relax a bit and leave it to fate to a degree.

No kids here... but I agree with the "perspective and relax a bit"!!

While I treat my puppy like my kiddo (in the essence that it has everything for a pup known to man), I still realize it is a doggie! Totally different!

Anywho... about the going everywhere!! I am all for sneaking my dog in everywhere! Fortunately places in Ohio are getting better about allowing dogs! When going to a restaurant I try to choose one that has a patio (weather permitting) so that I can take my poochie with me. I hate the winter!

A lot of our malls are doggie friendly! We even have one that encourages you to bring your pup shopping with you!

JADE AND LADY said:
I'd love to live in america

I always find it funny when people say this!! I would love to live in Austria, Ireland, Scotland or England! (maybe not forever but for a few years)

America is very, well, boring when you are not in "tourist" areas. Just about the same as everywhere else. And mid-west weather is horrible.

Although, the West is amazing!! That is where dh and I would love to end up. We are putting in match cities and our tops ones so far are:

1. Denver, Colorado
2. Arizona
3. Utah

Ijust think dog's have a little more leeway in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family,i know lots of people all over the world are the same but i can't even explain it maybe its the magazines i read :D :D :D
with all the celebs (i no i'm so sad) and there dogs.

I know what you mean about celebs and thier dogs. I get The New York Dog and The LA Dog Magazines and man... celebs and thier doggies is what the maggies are all about!

-:) Cicero is gonna be jealous!!

Mathis, how long is that you have to wait before you actually get Cicero?

Chris I wanted to sneak Tucker lots of places but I worried my furtive looks and guilty face would give me away for sure.

i had mongrel dogs as a kid, especially my first cocker mix teddy and then in my 20s i had Frank, best friend forever (a girl). i have thought about this since getting zack.

From the time when Frank died and when i got Zack, it was about 27 years without a dog, and during that time, i had a daughter who is now 23. before my daughter, i never felt maternal before, and to me, my dogs were my friends, pals, they were like my human friends, someone to hang out with and enjoy, but not someone who's health you worry about, like if your friend as the flu, you are sorry but you are not axiety stricken. but with my daughter, suddenly i was so maternal, all those instincts, protective, nurturing, and easily becoming anxious if she was sick, and i was also worried about people who snatch kids and kill them so i kept my eye on her.

It was wonderful, for my heart to grow and deepen like that, it was the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me, to be responsible for a vulnerable dependent little being. i had never thought of my dogs that way, they were healthy and low maintenance, until teddy got hit by a car at age 5, i was 14, and Frank died fast of cancer at 13 when i was around 30.

but when i got zack, it's been just like how i felt about my daughter, and i feel that way about my daughter's cavalier belle too, i feel responsible and very nurturing and protective, they don't seem like buddies and pals to me very much, more like little kids.

The day i got zack, he moaned and cried pitifully in the car driving home and i didn't know what was wrong, i felt so helpless. so i kept him in my lap. Then he immediately was sick with bloody diarrhea. You bet i worried, blood coming out of his butt the day i brought him home! it took 5 weeks and seeing vets several times a week, and changing vets several times, until i found one who cured him of his diarrhea and vomiting. Until he was helped, i couldn't relax or rest, i had to figure out how to help him. when we were in the emergency room waiting to see a doctor and he vomited in his crate, and i cleaned it up, i was telling him we are in it for the long haul, and I will take care of him and do all i can for him. i had had him 3 weeks then.

Since zack has been well and healthy, i have, gratefully, been free of worrying about his health. But one thing you mentioned that i do feel bad a lot about is leaving him alone when i go to work. I never gave any thought to leaving Frank alone. Frank came with me almost everywhere, and i never owned a leash, we were buds, we hung out, but i did leave her sometimes of course, for some hours, and i went to Europe once and left her with friends, and i just never worried about her at all. But Zack is another matter.

i don't really see a whole lot of difference between how it was with my daughter and how it is with zack, in my heart. A child is way harder, way more needs, more complex, dogs, even young ones, are more independent than young children. But in my heart, it still feels pretty much the same, and it's good, i like it, i like having a little being to care for and to sacrifice for (like coming home from work at lunch, even though it is not convenient, and is sometimes a hardship).

I have enjoyed my daughter at all her developmental stages, and would not want to go backward, yet i still have felt wistful and sad at the thought of never again getting to have those feelings that i had when she was very small, and then i got Zack, and it was so unexpected to feel as i had about my child. i'm very happy to have this experience.

i haven't thought of my part of the US as that dog friendly. I live near the beach and it's huge, it goes for a thousand miles, but there's no dog beach near me. There are some nice dog parks. But what was really dog friendly was when i went to France way back in 1969 and there were dogs and cats in the restaurants, i thought it was cool, a cat walked behind me and rubbed against my back while i ate. Does anyone know, is it still like that in France? It was in Paris, but also i think it was in other cities too, Bayonne or Biarritz.

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses so fast. I'm glad I'm not alone in this... To clarify, I know it's scientifically proven that dogs are stress relievers. I just wondered if others worry about their Cavs as much as I do. Kingston has definitely brought more joy to my life than I ever imagined. However, I don't know if I could handle having human children. I'd probably smother them with overprotectiveness!

Ijust think dog's have a little more leeway in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family

That's interesting. Is America really more dog-oriented than other places???

Judy, I love your post. You couldn't have said it better. I feel miserable when I leave Kingston home alone. He adds so much to my life...I want him to know he's loved every second of the day. I'm young (only in my 20s) and Kingston has helped me grow enormously. He's taught me complete selflessness. When friends ask me to go to bars or out dancing, I suddenly find myself declining their invitations so that I can go home to my little dog who needs me. When Kingston gets sick or has diarrhea, I clean up after him without disgust or resentment. And when he needed eye surgery, I gladly forked over more money than I could afford. This might not sound like much, but for a 20-something like me it represents an entirely new way of life.

Well maybe it's just the mags i read or the television i watch,but it seems the aload everywhere.
I'd love to bring lady over to my uncle in america, he lives in Boston ,massehcussats(don't think i spelt that right) she'd love it,but can you bring them with you for a visit. :drivecar:
i'm only in my 20's aswell but im the exact same ,i rang in the new year with lady.
new year new life(lady)

I feel the same way, well I did when I first brought Ginger home.
The first 3 months was so hard for me, I would practically cry leaving her and I was ALWAYS stressed out.
I think it takes time, now I still think about her and worry but I find that Wow 2 hours have gone by and I havent thought about Ginger (then of course I feel bad for not having thought about her!).
Im with her every chance I get, dont mind picking up the poos, cleaning up the pees and vomits and have become totally selfless. (even see other dogs pooing on the street and find myself saying "oh how cute")
Its a great feeling and I only hope she knows How much I really love her. I often wake in the middle of the night and touch her to make sure shes breathing!
My sister thought I was nuts, (coming from a No Dog Family) but she told me she used to sit by her daughters door and listen to make sure she was still breathing.
I KNOW im going to overprotect and smother my children with love, but I think its a good thing. I think for me it comes from being in a sorta cold (not saying anything bad about my family!) household.
Just wanted to let you know i'm the same way!

I'm not certain that America is any more dog orientated than anywhere else. France, however, is excellent. In some parts of the Riviera you're the odd one out if you don't have a pup tucked under your arm. Preferably supplied with sunglasses that match yours. OK, that's an exageration, but not much of one.

Sorry for spelling. I'm having one of those nights where I can't remember how to spell anything!

I've said this before, but I take the attitude that since their lives are short anyway, there's no point in spoiling the pleasure they bring by agonising over anything and everything. True, they could (and probably will) develop MVD/SM- but they could also (God forbid) get killed on the road tomorrow. I think having lost two dogs as child to the road has made me perhaps more likely to focus on the now, and let the future take care of itself. But I do make sure I'm aware of the various conditions and I try to read whatever Karlin posts on new SM/MVD treatment protocols.

Then again, while I adore my dogs I never forget they *are* dogs. They don't sleep with me, for instance. I would never refer to them as furkids/furbabies, and I told my parents to stop calling them 'grand dogs' because I didn't like it. They're still spoilt rotten though. :D

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who worries about being away from her dogs! I love my boys so much that I hate being away from them, and I worry about them when I'm not home. I also find myself turning down invitations to go places with friends because most of the time I would rather stay home with my dogs (that being the case I usually have my friends come over here to visit me)! I'm single and I never had any kids, I am 50 years old, and have had a rough last few years due to the death of both of my parents, and just recently I lost a very good job that I enjoyed very much. My dogs are helping me get thru the rough spots though, and I'll get thru it with their help.

in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family,i know lots of people all over the world are the same but i can't even explain it maybe its the magazines i read
with all the celebs (i no i'm so sad) and there dogs.

yea i agree with the people part...but honestly with the celebrities it looks like they use their dogs as accessories rather than companions :roll:

Joanne M said:
Mathis, how long is that you have to wait before you actually get Cicero?

Chris I wanted to sneak Tucker lots of places but I worried my furtive looks and guilty face would give me away for sure.

He comes home in Feb. It just seems like forever because I jumped onto the site when we found out the Momma was pregnant with Cicero. So, it has been quite some time... and I have been lurking around for about 4 months before that!!

We have had other dogs before, growing up, before we met and such. This is our first Cavalier together.

I, too, have had dogs in the past-great dogs! And many lovely cats.
Maybe it is because I have no children or significant other but my dogs have me completely neurotic! BUt, they also, have amazed me with their devotion! I will never, ever forget the joy they brought to my dad. Or the loyalty Teddy paid to his pop-pop at the end.
I worry about them and I know they are dogs but they are the most loyal companions and sometimes, the best listeners in the world. No judgement -just complete attentiveness.
It is different with these cavaliers...a totally different dog relationship than I have ever had with other pets. :flwr:

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Hi all
Im new to this site. I have a cavalier 7 months old I called him Raffa. Im the same all my family think im crazy, as I am constantly worrying about him. He was a sick puppy with Kennel cough and then he ate a bone and got internal bleeding.

I think Cavaliers are a bit different from other doggies too.

Whenever our vet sees a "new" Cavvie, he kisses it on the head and says "this will be a marriage made in Heaven"! :lol: :lol:

I think that's lovely...... :flwr: :flwr:

Back