Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

Post Thanks / Like

I can ABSOLUTELY understand your stress. I can relate to it because I've experienced some of it myself. I never imagined I could become as I am with regard to a pet. It's difficult for me to even use the word pet when I think of my relationship with Tucker. One thing that I've tried to tell myself is that although I want to be informed about cavaliers, and diseases they are prone to, I do not want to spend too much time dwelling on it. I can look at Tucker as my much loved companion or I can look at him as a potential patient. I prefer a companion. I bring him for regular checkups at the vet, and if he's sick he goes in to be seen. I rely upon experts to tell me if my dog is healthy or unhealthy. Since I've put him on a diet that works for him, I feel much more relieved. The old worries creep in from time to time, is this an itch or is this a symptom of SM and then I tell myself to stop. Jeez, it's winter, my skin is dry and itches, dry flaky skin on my body is just that, I moisturize for it, I don't run to a website on dermatologic disorders.

For me the depth of the love I feel for Tucker was unexpected. I have no children. Perhaps if I were a mother I would not worry as I have. But I'm relieved to say, I've turned a corner, not completely worry free, but I no longer look at him for symptoms. I look at him with love and pleasure. Enjoy Kingston.

edited to include: Chris I've had the same thoughts myself with regard to what I'd be like as a parent. Based on my reaction to Tucker, I suspect I'd be one of those incredibly nervous mothers. Although at least with human babies I have experience, being one of 7 children, and having 12 nieces and nephews. I had lots of experience mothering, just not to a furbaby.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally relate! I used to be a terrible worrier. Now that mine are 3 and 4 years old I really don't worry as bad as I used to. Both of mine have been through surgeries and illnesses and I think having been through this has eased me a bit. I was so stressed about the surgeries but we survived and are better for it, I think. Once they get a little older I really found I didn't worry as much.

Funny you should say this though. I was laying in bed last night and thinking "I want cuddles from my puppies" (they sleep in crates, not with us). And I wondered how parents feel. Do they miss their children when they put them to bed and want to cuddle with them. It's kind of ridiculous. I work at home so I spend all day with them. It's almost scary how much I love them. I've had cats and was very attached to my cats. But this is over the top. Wouldn't trade them for the world but had no idea how smitten I would be.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, feel I must reply......

Children are wonderful too, you love them like mad too, and they are very expensive just like our Cavvies.

Children, however, grow and change.....you're Cavvie won't!!

What you see in a Cavvie, is what you get....for their whole life!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy-- you said that so eloquently.
    I've had pets all my life-- but cavaliers changed me. I worry more about them -- but, when I go to sleep and they are curled around me (better than any electric blanket) there is a sense of PEACE I get that is unlike any other.
    My older daughter calls my Katrina her "other" sister. She assisted at the c/section spay of Katrina and kept saying to the doctors-- you are working on my moms "other" baby.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't worry, but it was a conscious decision. I know the risks and I do everything possible to alleviate what I can through training. I work with the vet on what can be fixed with their health. I know that Pippin and Merry got the raw end of the DNA pool and they have & will have lots of problems, but I have decided to enjoy every moment that I have them. To appreciate the good times and do the best I can for them in the bad times.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

I can relate to this but not with any pets I have had. While reading your story it sounded so familar - it was me, but with the 2.5 yrs of my daughters life. When the second was born at that time, she was so relaxed and an easy baby, I realized I fussed too much over the first. First babies can be that way cause mom is a little wound up! My thinking here, is its the same. Try to relax and not worry over every little thing - SM or other illnesses if present will be noticable with consistent signs over a period of time. I swore my first born had every illness under Dr Spocks index (ha did I show my age!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MathisGreen
    Quite the opposite... it is clinically proven that dogs reduce stress and depression in owners!
    Heee that was my calling card to get a cav! After our lab I wanted a dog pretty quick - I have never in my life since 5 not had clicking of doggie toe nails on my floor! Having a slight balance disorder (Getting Older Is Inevitable. Growing Up Is Optional) I remember training a lab enough to know I'd be on my face in 30 sec!. So to push for the Cavalier which I set my mind on was definately going to be my first breed other than a lab - I pulled stats showing a study that a cavalier because of their nature to be lap dogs reduced high blood pressure (oh yet another recent ailment). OK my husband is not so stupid he fell for it, but weakened none the less realizing when I start using arguements like that, I wont stop till I get my way. See husbands are easier to train than the family pet!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Kody about this. Having had children, I really don't think I feel the same about our puppy (but it's early days yet at 20 weeks!). If one's flesh and blood are ill, it is a complete nightmare and I worry about my three all the time, and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time to come. My anxieties connected to the dog are mainly that if I let anything happen to her it would devastate the children. I know I would get over it, in spite of being besotted with her myself - but I hate seeing my children upset (although it's a necessary part of life).

I suppose if one doesn't have kids these dogs really can wind themselves round your heart in a similar way! Even so, one does have to get a sense of perspective and relax a bit and leave it to fate to a degree.
    Scampi (Blenheim female) 19 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

I'm exactly the same ever since i got lady i'm so over protective, when my little sister try's to play with her i'm always shouting at her it's horrible
    But u have to get them used to being on there on as you would never get to go anywhere.
    I went to my little sisters christmas play which i brought lady and the principal stood on the stage and told me to leave the building or put the mut in a cage well what i didn't say ,i'll put u in a cage lady is no mut.She let me stay anyway but the cheek
    JADE LADY'S MAMMY

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha Jade you are a character!!! Even I haven't gone that far with Tucker. Although, I would like to bring him with me everywhere too.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005