• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy or Adult food?

cavalicious

Hi everyone

I know this topic has been discussed time and time again but I really would like an opinion that is breed and brand specific. Ollie is 11 weeks old and is on Purina puppy at the moment as well as natural yogurt, chicken necks, vegetables, eggs and fruit. I would like to switch him over to Nurtrience when the Purina finishes but am hearing lots of mixed messages about Puppy or Adult.

1) Small breeds should eat puppy food
2) Puppy food will speed up growth and damage joints
3) All puppies should be on puppy food so they are supplied with the right amount of nutrients

I don't know what to think :? Nutrience has puppy food in sizes (small, medium, large) but has adult food in different flavours.

What do you suggest I feed him?

Also in regards to mixing raw with kibble. I mix Ollie's kibble with yogurt or egg or vegetables everyday, is this alright? He won't eat veggies on their own so its an easy way to get them in him, also i think it makes it more interesting for him.

Thanks in advance :)

Emily :flwr:

Emily, this is the first I've ever heard of this food..so I looked it up to see wats its about..sounds like a good for. What I would suggest is find a all natural dog food that both you and ur kid like. What veggies I suggest is carrots, broccoli, peppers, corn, green beans...and the list goes on King loves all these veggies and fruits are good as well

before the dog food companies came out with puppy food, puppies did fine, didn't they? Was there some kind of concern that puppies weren't getting enough nutrition, weren't growing properly or weren't as healthy as they could be? maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think so. All the dogs i ever had were healthy in the days before puppy food. in the wild, dogs eat the same thing as adults. If there's a good reason for puppy food, and no risks, then i'd be interested in it, but so far, i haven't heard what the evidence is that they need it.

I don't know what evidence there is for thinking puppy food could increase the risk of orthopedic problems either, except for large breeds, i think there is clear evidence of that. the belief that puppy formulas cause health problems seems to be based on experience of some breeders, that puppy food is unhealthy for the skeletal development. i've searched the net and so far haven't found any research on this, or much else. But i respect the breeder, Laura Lang, as a close observer of her dogs, from reading things she has to say about nutrition and about SM, so if she thinks puppy food is unhealthy, i have to take that seriously. She says on her website that feeding puppy food will void the warranty on her puppies.

Back