• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Louie is ill

Vanessa

Our bleinheim cavalier Louie (3) has just had a really bad weekend. He was diagnosed with Pancreatitis on Saturday and spent Saturday night in hospital in UCD in Dublin. We are really worried about him and so is his big half brother Sam. Has anybody else had an experience of this? :(

I'm so sorry!! Poor little Louie! :( I hope he feels better soon. I don't know much about Panreatitis, but I have heard of small dogs getting it because they ate something that contained too much fat or grease and couldn't digest it.

The wonderful guy that cuts my hair said that his shih tzu got it because he got into the garbage and ate a large portion of skin from fried chicken. :? I've read that giving digestive enzymes on a regular basis can help avoid Pancreatitis, but I would check with your vet to be sure. I hope he gets better soon.

Vanessa, please keep us posted on Louie's progress. I only recently read about pancreatitis and fatty foods. I'm so sorry Louie is sick. Can you let us know what kind of treatment he gets, and also what to be on the look out for. What were his symptoms and what test had to be performed to diagnose the condition?

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Get well soon Louie :xfngr: that you and Sam have Louie home soon-----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

Hi all and thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and words. Louie is now home from hospital and hopefully on the mend. Louie is now on special food and will be for the rest of his life and also on a course of antibiotics. Our vet seems to think it just came on for no apparent reason as he is not overweight and very rarely gets extra food treats. He is due back to the vet for a check-up next Monday. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

PS How do I post photos

Hi Joanna
Louie 's symptoms started very quickly. When we got up on Saturday morning he had been sick during the night all over the kitchen. He wouldn't eat anything and continued to be sick. When we took him to the vet he had swollen glands, a sore tummy and she performed a blood test.

Glad to hear that Louis is doing better! It's so scary and stressful when your little buddy is ill.

Thank you Vanessa, I appreciate your information. I sure hope Louie will be okay and the medication will manage this. Does this mean he's got chronic pancreatitis or is it not being able to tolerate things in his diet that most other dogs could? Carrots is a vegetable loaded with minerals and viitamins and something fun to chew on at the same time, but I was surprised when in a recent conversation with Tucker's breeder she cautioned me on giving him too many carrots, saying something to do with their high sugar content having potential effect on his gall bladder. Sometimes it seems the more you know the less you know!

I wish you and Louie all the best. Someone other than myself will be able to help with posting a picture of your angel. I had a helper to post mine.

(((((hugs))))))) from me and *slurps* from Tucker
Joanne

:updte: Hi all just have a quick update on Louie. We visited our vet on Monday and Louie is on the mend, he is much happier and loves his new food, but misses his treats (he can't have any at the moment). He is backing playing with his big brother Sam and up to mischief. He is going back in 3 weeks time to have another blood test and hopefully he will be clear of Pancreatitis. I will keep you all posted and thanks againg for all your kind words from us all especially Louie & Sam :lotsaluv: :D

So glad to hear that Louie is on the mend :lotsaluv: It's no fun for a little guy to be throwing up like that - their tummy gets all tender and sore :hug: I hope it wont be too long before he can have treats again.

:flwr: :hug:

Back