• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Allergies? no.... dry skin

My Wesley

I think Wesley has allergies. In fact I'm sure he does. But I'm not sure if it's food or environment. He has dry skin under his coat and you can see dandruff at times. He fixates chewing on his right front leg. And he LOVES when I scratch his back.

Now do food allergies cause this?

He's currently eating Innova EVO. I saw in another post that I think one of Charleen's dogs has food allergies and she feeds Royal Canin Potato & Rabbit formula which helps.

He actually has his next vet appointment tomorrow and I could bring it up there. But if this is likely food allergies, I'd like to just try switching his food first and see if that helps. When you switch, (if it works), when do you start noticing a difference?

Thanks!

Our Charley used to get dry skin in the winter....as soon as the furnace was on, he'd get seborrhea (sp?)

We'd just use a non-allergenic shampoo and add some Arctic Vigour to his diet. Or any kind of fish oil will help.

It didn't cure it.....springtime did. :flwr: :flwr:

It could just be dry skin due to winter time. Currently I use a tablespoon of Olive oil in my boys food and it has really helped alot with their dry skin. They have nice shiny coats. I am going to switch to Fish oil because it is less fatty and has a lot of Omega 3's amino acids that are really good for the coat.

Where do I locate some fish oil?

For his shampoos I have Pet Silk in Clean Scent and on more thing that I got from the pet store. I'm thinking of maybe even just conditioning. Seeing as I learned that in human hair, shampooing all the time dries it out, maybe that would work to. So maybe I'll also just condition him once a week and shampoo and condition every two weeks.

I know our house is really dry too. When my mom stayed she would wake up with a sore throat. It's very dry in here. We're keeping the heat on at around 72 this winter.

Any pharmacy will have different kinds of fish oils.

They are in tablets (gelatin)....but I'd just break one over the dog food.

We prefer Arctic Vigour, so does Mary Alice...my daughter got that from a pet shop, I think.

I like it better cause it doesnt' smell fishy. :)

As for the shampoo, we didn't use it often, only monthly but it helped decrease the itching.

Do you have a humidifier?? That might help too. :flwr: :flwr:

Do you do the fish oil tablet for every meal? Currently he's still at 3 meals a day since he's just 15 weeks.

If it were a severe food allergy I think the stools would show change as well.

I have not used anyh of these products but know others do, so I am looking into for later. Seameal Solid Gold, Dr Maggies and Salmon Oil. They all help with dry skin and shedding. The Solid Gold also helps with immune system so I think I will start there. Then if the coat still needs a little pick up perhaps add the Salmon Oil or Dr Maggies. But I dont think I am supposed to do any of this till after the puppy stage (does any one know?)

No, just once a day or so......my daughter usually added supplements, so when she's back I'll ask her and then pm you.

The Arctic Vigour is really good also for the times they're off their food...a doggie will eat anything with a bit of AV on it!!

Shall pm later..... :)

I've changed Lia's kibble, I give her now Hill's Science plan, it has vegetables and two oils (omega 3 and 6). Is less dry that the royal Canin, and her coat looks gorgeus!!!

:flwr:

Well apparently the Innova EVO has the Omega 3 in it already. But I do think I will try the Arctic Vigour. I feel so bad for the poor pup and his itchy, dry skin.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm glad it's not food allergies. His stools are nice and solid. Only a few loose ones, but that seems to be when we have him out of his orient, like at a friends house or something.

I'll update later once I try out the oils. THANKS!

When they process kibble, any kind of kibble, the omegas get burned off when they cook it.

They still list it, as it *was* there once upon a time. :roll:

That's why adding some fish oils really makes a difference to their coats.

Glad to hear that Lias' coat is nice and shiny....she is a lovely pup!! ;D

I use fish oil and give 3 a day the dogs love them and will eat them like lollies or I just chuck em in their food.

I would also suggest an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner or leave in conditioner.
I use virbac episoothe shampoo and resisoothe leave in conditioner. Not sure if you can get these in your area ?

Shampooing and conditioning as frequently as you note, could very likely be the cause of his dry skin. Most vets will say to try and not shampoo more than once a month or better yet, every two-three months (that's all I do). If the dog is dirty just rinse with warm water -- I simply take mine swimming; even if they get muddy they dry out, the dirt brushes out and they are nice and white again simply from the swim, which takes off the dusty dirt. About every two-three weeks I'd get them wet and then let them dry out and they look white and fluffy again. Have never had any dry sking problems.

Dogs really need their skin oils to keep skin from drying out and to coat their hair. Every shampoo strips out all this oil.

Some dogs do seem to tolerate more frequent washing but I'd talk to your vet. Especially if you are blow-drying every week or two, I'd guess that's the issue, not food. Food allergies are really not very common -- I know very few dogs that actually have food problems or allergies.

Well, in the beginning it was once a week. I've moved to about every two weeks now. I just think he gets a little stinky. I like fresh smelling pups! :)

I think I may need to look into some doggy cologne or something.

I will definitely cut down his baths though. Maybe condition every two weeks, and shampoo and condition every month or so. At least until I an find a decent smelling cologne. :)

Thanks again!

Oh and yes, he gets the blowdry. I dry to do it to where he's still just a little wet under there because most times I want to take him potty immediately since he's just a pup, but it's freezing out so I don't want him to turn into an icicle. I'll definitely try air drying and just let him do that in his crate or a confined area until he's dry enough to go out in the cold.

Why don't you take him potty before his bath??

Then he's good for a couple of hours at least.

They don't need a bath every two weeks, it'll reallly dry him out, make him terribly itchy.

He's a bit young for cologne, he's just a puppy.

You might be better to just wash him off with plain water, if it's a concern! :flwr: :flwr:

Back