Thread: Is clicker training a good idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is clicker training a good idea?

We went to our first puppy training class yesterday and the trainer suggested using a clicker for training. I was hesitant because I thought I would always have to use it-but he said I only needed it to teach the desired behavior - then have them associate the behavior with a word or hand movement instead of the clicker and eventually drop the treat.
    Does it really work that way?
    Mom to Harley & Carley (7months)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep that is how it works. Clicker training is really fun and makes it much easier to train to because you are able to signal the right behaviour much faster than if you praise or treat. You both click and treat initially but the dog soon learns to see the 'click; as approval too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but don't give a clicker to your S O . My dear spouse played with the clicker and taught the older 3 dogs that when he clicked -- they sat. He totally misunderstood the "purpose" of the click.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, he will do it right - I made home attend the puppy class with me!
    I know I am supposed to use it to train one dog at a time, but when can I use it while both puppies are together?
    Mom to Harley & Carley (7months)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Clicker training is wonderful.

A few things

1. The sound of the clicker is precious
    2. Charge up your clicker (food association) and when not using it put it away
    3. Clicker is used to capture the desired behaviour you MUST add your cue (visual or verbal) to the behaviour or your dog will present various behaviours without being asked!
    4. Once you start clicker training what you click is what you get!

See www.learningaboutdogs.com for clicker info. We also stock a lot of books on clicker training at various levels in our online shop.
    Tara Choules (MAPDT 00852, CAP 1&2, HNC CBT)
    Zak, Beau and Boomer (Cavaliers dressed as Sausage dogs and Schnauzers)
    www.DogTrainingIreland.ie
    Online Store www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE clicker training. I was skeptical when first introduced to it a few years ago. But we did follow the trainer's program. I was amazed at how much quicker the dogs learned with the clicker and how much they loved the training!

We use the clicker to train a behavior and once they are solid with it, we fade the clicker and then fade the treats too. I hope you and your dog will love it.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add another vote for clicker training... I've done it with all four of mine, and Clancy started his first puppy kindergarbage class tonight, which is a clicker based class.

Tonight, we accomplished a very nice 'down', and began work on 'touch'. My trainer uses the 'touch' command for recall, and it works beautifully! We also worked on down/stay with recall. I have to brag and say that Clancy appears to be a pretty sharp cookie

You teach them to touch your hand with their nose with a click/treat... once they have that they RUN to you whenever you call "TOUCH"! I just LOVE him to pieces!
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~