Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is good to use for tear stains?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is good to use for tear stains?

My cavaliers have tear stains!! Does anyone have advice of what is good too use?
    we have tried many things but they dont seem to work

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that rubbing contact solution (not cleaner, but the kind you can put in your eye) on the stain works well to prevent and clean the protein buildup. But, I have trouble getting Gracie to stay still long enough while rubbing that close to her eye for me to make much of a difference. I've been trying to do it every other day or so for the last week and I do notice a difference. But, she's tearing a lot right now since she's teething...I can't keep up!

I've also heard people recommend a product called Angel Eye's. I'm sure others will post soon on this topic!
    Lindsay, Andy and Gracie (our 11 month old Blenheim bundle of joy!)

Post Thanks / Like

We're using Diamond Eyes on Mary Alices' stains.

It's not an immediate cure but it's slowly improving with once a day application.

You can do it more often but she won't stay still....she hates having her face touched at all.

You can also put 1/4 tbsp of Boric Acid dissolved in boiled water and apply when just a bit warmer than room temperature. That's a daily thing.

The third option, Witch Hazel...but MA didn't like it.

Apparently, once you get them under control, you should do it daily to keep the stains away.

Post Thanks / Like

i have found eye envy to be great for tear stains
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also a huge fan of Eye Envy. Shelby has one eye that gets stains. I wipe her eyes with a kleenex when they're wet. If I notice she is starting to stain I just the Eye Envy powder for a few days and it's all gone.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I currently use Diamond Eye. I put a little on a cotton ball and wipe under Kingston's eyes. The chemicals are strong, so I'm super careful not to get it in his eyes. It seems to help, especially with removing the nasty tear-stain smell. Kingston doesn't like having it applied...He runs away at the sight of a cotton ball. But once I catch him he cooperates.

Does anyone else notice their Cavs tear stains being smelly?

I'll probably buy Eye Envy next. I don't think it's as harsh as the Diamond Eye.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that when King gets his tears stains, Eye Envy works better then the rest...plus I like using Dr. Miller's Eye Solution to help prevent the stains if their getting out of control. But Eye Envy works like a dream!!
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY

Post Thanks / Like

My 3 year old had horrible tear stains that I just couldn't get rid of so I asked my vet about it and he suggested feeding him distilled water rather than regular tap. He said that depending on your area some tap water has more and stronger minerals that can cause their eye discharge to be darker in color thus leading to staining. We switched to distilled and have not had a problem since. All of his eye discharge is more clear and all I do now is wipe it with a damp cloth.

This does get a little expensive but you might try it for a few weeks to flush out the area and reduce the staining until it clears up.

Post Thanks / Like

my vet about it and he suggested feeding him distilled water rather than regular tap
    That's it! Kingston's getting nothing but Fiji water from now on! haha... He wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

've also heard people recommend a product called Angel Eye's.
    I, too have heard that this product works wonders! I like that it's a powder that you sprinkle on their food, not a topical that you have to fight getting on their face each day. It is supposed to be all natural (a liver enzyme), and safe to use everyday... it is supposed to treat the cause of the staining, versus treating the stained fur. I like the idea, but it is very expensive! I'd be happy to pay the high cost if it works, though! Anybody have experience with this that can give a testimonial?

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/