• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what is good to use for tear stains?

Mycavyangels

My cavaliers have tear stains!! Does anyone have advice of what is good too use?
we have tried many things but they dont seem to work

thanks

I've heard that rubbing contact solution (not cleaner, but the kind you can put in your eye) on the stain works well to prevent and clean the protein buildup. But, I have trouble getting Gracie to stay still long enough while rubbing that close to her eye for me to make much of a difference. I've been trying to do it every other day or so for the last week and I do notice a difference. But, she's tearing a lot right now since she's teething...I can't keep up!

I've also heard people recommend a product called Angel Eye's. I'm sure others will post soon on this topic!

We're using Diamond Eyes on Mary Alices' stains.

It's not an immediate cure but it's slowly improving with once a day application.

You can do it more often but she won't stay still....she hates having her face touched at all.

You can also put 1/4 tbsp of Boric Acid dissolved in boiled water and apply when just a bit warmer than room temperature. That's a daily thing.

The third option, Witch Hazel...but MA didn't like it.

Apparently, once you get them under control, you should do it daily to keep the stains away.
:flwr: :flwr:

I'm also a huge fan of Eye Envy. Shelby has one eye that gets stains. I wipe her eyes with a kleenex when they're wet. If I notice she is starting to stain I just the Eye Envy powder for a few days and it's all gone.

I currently use Diamond Eye. I put a little on a cotton ball and wipe under Kingston's eyes. The chemicals are strong, so I'm super careful not to get it in his eyes. It seems to help, especially with removing the nasty tear-stain smell. Kingston doesn't like having it applied...He runs away at the sight of a cotton ball. But once I catch him he cooperates.

Does anyone else notice their Cavs tear stains being smelly?

I'll probably buy Eye Envy next. I don't think it's as harsh as the Diamond Eye.

I find that when King gets his tears stains, Eye Envy works better then the rest...plus I like using Dr. Miller's Eye Solution to help prevent the stains if their getting out of control. But Eye Envy works like a dream!!

My 3 year old had horrible tear stains that I just couldn't get rid of so I asked my vet about it and he suggested feeding him distilled water rather than regular tap. He said that depending on your area some tap water has more and stronger minerals that can cause their eye discharge to be darker in color thus leading to staining. We switched to distilled and have not had a problem since. All of his eye discharge is more clear and all I do now is wipe it with a damp cloth.

This does get a little expensive but you might try it for a few weeks to flush out the area and reduce the staining until it clears up.

've also heard people recommend a product called Angel Eye's.

I, too have heard that this product works wonders! I like that it's a powder that you sprinkle on their food, not a topical that you have to fight getting on their face each day. It is supposed to be all natural (a liver enzyme), and safe to use everyday... it is supposed to treat the cause of the staining, versus treating the stained fur. I like the idea, but it is very expensive! I'd be happy to pay the high cost if it works, though! Anybody have experience with this that can give a testimonial?

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/

I heard on the cav connection forum that apple cider vinegar works great.
use a cotton ball with the vinegar and rub it under the eye being careful not to get it in the eye everyday for about a week, I don't have this problem so I never tried it.
judy

We have a water fountain for Harvey which we fill with Bottled Water only because the tap water here is so lime scaley and clogs the filter on the fountain within days!

Harvey so far hasnt suffered with eye stains which i'm not sure is because he is still very young or because he only drinks bottled water??

Back