Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re: Hartz flea and tick drops just put on my dog -

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, one of our cats got fleas....what a nightmare that was...I vacuumed and did laundry til I was blue in the face!!

The eggs just kept hatching...it took the winter frost to kill them off.

Never again...our cat wasn't happy to be turned into an "indoor cat" but we weren't going through that again.

Hubby and I both had terrible bites all over, thank heavens the children seemed to not be "attractive" to the fleas!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Frontline Plus on both of mine. The negative reaction to fleas is soo much worse than not treating them. Jake has a terrible flea allergy. I didn't put it on them this month since it's been so cold.

One note about the potency. I used to order mine online. But read and was told so much about it not being guaranteed by buying it that way. I now only buy from the vet. The two times I've bought it online we've ended up finding fleas. So.....a little more expensive...but worth it. At least to us.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T
    ....One note about the potency. I used to order mine online. But read and was told so much about it not being guaranteed by buying it that way. I now only buy from the vet. The two times I've bought it online we've ended up finding fleas. So.....a little more expensive...but worth it. At least to us.
    I've always heard this too, either the vets get a different lot that's stronger, or maybe it's quality control in handling and storing.

i've never used frontline, but i've always heard that from several sources.

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy,

Why would it be less effective if bought over the internet??

The vet probably orders theirs online.

Curious??

I was just a bit slower in typing.... lol

That's awful, they have two types, weak and good??

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I sure don't want to be short changed in effectiveness in order to save a buck, on the other hand, I sure would like to save $10.00 for every three doses IF it's the same product. I did notice the packaging seemed to be a bit mangled on the Front Line, not the applicator bottles themself but the cardboard packaging. Also, it wasn't until after I'd placed the order for Frontline, I realized I have no way of knowing in advance of receipt of the product what it's expiration date may be.

Cathy T and Judy - thanks for introducing that information. I will ask my vet. At the same website they offer prescription drugs too, at savings, such as monthly heart pills, but I decided anything prescription best be gotten from the vet rather than through the mail.

Is this like Paul Mitchell Salon products for us humans, they cannot guarantee the quality of products sold in stores, only those sold in salons?
    I've often wondered about the truth of that. I buy Nexus Salon Products from Walmart. They still are pretty pricey, how do these products get into large chain stores legally if they are not legit? (that's totally offpoint I know, sorry, just the way my mind works)
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

i guess the first person i heard this from was my daughter. Belle had some fleas and i was worried about them bringing her over here and introducing fleas when we weren't having any and i suggested she get Advantage, which she'd used before, but she said her vet was closed and when i said she could get it at the pet store, she said she was told it wasn't as effective, i don't remember if she heard that from her breeder or the vet. And then i've heard it other places too. I'm just guessing it could have something to do with shipping and storage and handling, although my original impression when i first heard about it was that they were actually different medications, that there are prescription level and over the counter level versions. Revolution can only be obtained from a vet, and not even by a vet unless you have a prescription. Pet stores don't have it at all, i was given a reason but now i don't remember what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Revolution can't be sold in Pet stores because it included both flea and heartworm. Any heartworm meds have to be bought from a vet. You can order it from Canada without a script though

Maybe that is what my issue is...I have never bought Frontline from the vet, only online or at the pet store. I am going to have to call my vet to figure this out. I always thought they were the same but I just can't seem to get something that works!!

Darn Florida fleas would survive a nuclear attack. There is absolutely no chance of getting a frost long enough to kill the buggers either. Yesterday it was 75 degrees!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Some online companies were found to have sold counterfeit frontline:
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/petproduct.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sandy that is very helpful and useful information.

Edited to update. Based on the very informative Fact Sheet put out by the EPA on the link sandy provided, I'm able to feel certain the product I purchased was NOT a counterfeit. I also phoned the manufacturer and spoke to an actual LIVE person. We went over the packaging, and the blister packaging, and compared lot numbers, etc, and she too felt comfortable that I did not have a counterfeit product. However, she went on to say "we recommend our product be purchased from Vets."
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005