• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dog mysteries

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it that the box of chew toys goes generally ignored by all three dogs in my house. Nylabones to rubber toys, none are of interest for chewing.

But: a pencil, a nice pen, a tube of lip balm, a comb, my resident alien ID card that I've carried for 20 years, a bottle of shampoo, a tube of toothpaste, a packet of kleenex, a roll of toilet paper... all of these are very exciting and attractive chew toys.

I just took a tube of Vaseline lip protector off Lily who had in seconds chewed through the tube so that the goop was coming out of the open end. :sl*p:

LOL sorry for laughing but boy can I relate. My friend told me after Tucker ate my eyeglasses that he was attracted to them because they carried my scent or could it also be they see us using these objects/products and want to do what we do?

I agree with Joanne, Karlin...try having a chew on those toys...that'll make them more enticing for the dogs! :lol: :lol:

I am just as confused as you Karlin! Chester has soooo many toys but he tends to go nuts over little things like toilet paper tubes, used Kleenex, paper from the trash can--basically anything that isn't a proper dog toy.

Our Lhasa Apso's favorite chew-up item is scotch tape dispensers! Unfortunately, I wish he could figure out how to get the tape to stick to his lips - maybe he wouldn't be so ornery!!!

Sheri

The other day I came out of the shower to find Cody laying on the couch surrounded by at LEAST $50 worth of toys (nylabones, sqeaky toys, tennis balls, pizzle sticks etc)...What was he chewing on? Not a single toy but instead my favorite pair of sandals. :x :x :x

How do you train a dog not to chew shoes??

Put them in the cloest and shut the door. :roll:

Isn't it funny the odd things they do?

We keep Pixie's leash on the door knob - after she's been out, either walked on the leash or let out in the fenced backyard, she'll come inside, run around for a minute, then go touch her nose to the leash...every time.

One of the cats (Max) prefers to drink water out of anything in the sink - even though he has fresh water next to his dish at all times. After I caught him in the sink drinking out of my dirty coffee cup (mostly filled with water, but still a bit of coffee in it) I realized I need to keep a clean water dish in the sink at all times for him. (and keep the dirty dishes out of the sink) :roll:

The waste baskets and kleenex I heard on a vet radio show is called (not sure of spelling) Pica Syndrome. But the other items, I have a thought - is it because we (the family) handle them so our scent is on them. Karlin you gotta start carrying the dog nylonbones around and they will be fighting you for them in no time :lol:

Karlin said:
I just took a tube of Vaseline lip protector off Lily who had in seconds chewed through the tube so that the goop was coming out of the open end. :sl*p:

Mmmm Vaseline! Lol... j/k! I hate the stuff... when we would go to cheerleading competitions we would smear the stuff on our teeth right before we went on so that we would always have a huge cheezy smile. I have no idea why anyone... human or canine would want to chew on it!

LOL! Good luck with that Karlin!

I can relate to all of this -- I get embarrassed every time I pull out my drivers license and the other person spies the teeth marks in one corner. :sl*p:

I have a basket full of every kind of toy imaginable but my two boys will kill each other over a toilet paper roll.

Back