Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Stalked!!! need help.........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Being Stalked!!! need help.........

Minnie doesn't want me out of her sight and every time I leave the room she HOWLS. Hubby bought a gate this morning and I have fixed it to one door opening in the kitchen. She can't actually see me except when I pass by and there's no way to fix it that she can....it's just the way our house is built. I have got to break this dependency as I need to be able to go out and know that she is not going to spend the whole time being anxious. I already ignore her when I'm coming or going but this howling is Championship Quality and I need to sort it. Any ideas please.

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry she is feeling extra anxious right now. I suppose it is worse since she just came home from her spay. I know some others on here have tried walking away briefly and rewarding with a treat for any quiet time. However, if she doesn't stop whining at all, I don't know what to do. I'm not much help, but I do wish you luck!
    Kim
    Mommy to Dottie - born November 5, 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to my world! LOL

Sorry Claire, I know how bad it can be.....we have a howler too!!

We've been told that it's just Mary Alice, some bark and others howl!!

Hubby now calls it her Yellowstone mood!!!

Minnie Moo is probably worse because she just got back from the vet, hopefully she'll "keep it down" when she's feeling better.

Post Thanks / Like

I closed the kitchen door and she has quietened down and hubby is praising her no end. But every now and then I can hear a WHaaa whaa wheeaaaw you'd think she was being murdered

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

I want to know how a cute, little pleasant dog can be so loud. It doesn't seem natural. I understand your pain. Scout doesn't howl now, but she did when I first got her non-stop for two days when I was out of her sight. Very loud.
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you should take one book. It has only 37 pages, you can read it in one hour. I think the price is 7 euros or something.

The book is "I will be at home soon!" by Patricia McConell

you can find it in www.canineconcepts.co.uk

Is for the dogs that has separation anxiety. We foster rescued greyhounds and there we found really great advices!
    Laura Lia Maia

Post Thanks / Like

You could get another cavalier for company
    Mom to Candle and Ally

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Switch to having hubby do all the feeding, the treats, and walks, so she associates good things with him as well and remove this connection and dependency from being associated with you. TOTALLY ignore her when she howls or whines for attention whether you are in the room or not. Do not even look at her. It may take time, and get worse before it gets better, but eventually she'll realise howling gets nothing, whereas if she is quiet, you will return. That is strong motivation. Carry treats in your pocket as well (small pieces of cat food are good) and toss her a few when she sits quietly; likewise hubby can do this.

Training away from separation anxiety takes time and focus.

See:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5910
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would ignore it when she howls, make sure she doesn't see you when she's doing it. And every tilme she's quiet for a little while, go and praise her, start with a short time and then built it up. Has she enough toys to keep her busy? To keep her distracted with a toy stuffed with food like a kong or puzzle box could help.
    kisses Ester & a licky from Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Molly does this too - she hates when I leave the room and because the bottom of my house is open plan she is always with me unless I go upstairs and then she will howl and scream.

Lisa and Tara (from DTI) gave me some drops for her - Dr. Petals Elixirs, Separation Anxiety. You give 8 drops morning and evening. They have really helped to calm her down and she is not as anxious when I leave the room now. I am trying to leave for just a few minutes and come back down if she isn't barking. I was actually able to have a shower by myself the other night!

I hope Minnie calms down for you soon
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)