• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Being Stalked!!! need help.........

Claire L

Minnie doesn't want me out of her sight and every time I leave the room she HOWLS. Hubby bought a gate this morning and I have fixed it to one door opening in the kitchen. She can't actually see me except when I pass by and there's no way to fix it that she can....it's just the way our house is built. I have got to break this dependency as I need to be able to go out and know that she is not going to spend the whole time being anxious. I already ignore her when I'm coming or going but this howling is Championship Quality and I need to sort it. Any ideas please.

:flwr:

I'm sorry she is feeling extra anxious right now. I suppose it is worse since she just came home from her spay. I know some others on here have tried walking away briefly and rewarding with a treat for any quiet time. However, if she doesn't stop whining at all, I don't know what to do. I'm not much help, but I do wish you luck! ;)

Welcome to my world! LOL

Sorry Claire, I know how bad it can be.....we have a howler too!!

We've been told that it's just Mary Alice, some bark and others howl!!

Hubby now calls it her Yellowstone mood!!! :lol: :lol:

Minnie Moo is probably worse because she just got back from the vet, hopefully she'll "keep it down" when she's feeling better. :flwr: :flwr:

I closed the kitchen door and she has quietened down and hubby is praising her no end. But every now and then I can hear a WHaaa whaa wheeaaaw :sl*p: you'd think she was being murdered :badgrin:

:flwr:

I want to know how a cute, little pleasant dog can be so loud. It doesn't seem natural. I understand your pain. Scout doesn't howl now, but she did when I first got her non-stop for two days when I was out of her sight. Very loud.

Maybe you should take one book. It has only 37 pages, you can read it in one hour. I think the price is 7 euros or something.

The book is "I will be at home soon!" by Patricia McConell

you can find it in www.canineconcepts.co.uk

Is for the dogs that has separation anxiety. We foster rescued greyhounds and there we found really great advices!

Switch to having hubby do all the feeding, the treats, and walks, so she associates good things with him as well and remove this connection and dependency from being associated with you. TOTALLY ignore her when she howls or whines for attention whether you are in the room or not. Do not even look at her. It may take time, and get worse before it gets better, but eventually she'll realise howling gets nothing, whereas if she is quiet, you will return. That is strong motivation. Carry treats in your pocket as well (small pieces of cat food are good) and toss her a few when she sits quietly; likewise hubby can do this.

Training away from separation anxiety takes time and focus.

See:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5910

I would ignore it when she howls, make sure she doesn't see you when she's doing it. And every tilme she's quiet for a little while, go and praise her, start with a short time and then built it up. Has she enough toys to keep her busy? To keep her distracted with a toy stuffed with food like a kong or puzzle box could help.

Molly does this too - she hates when I leave the room and because the bottom of my house is open plan she is always with me unless I go upstairs and then she will howl and scream.

Lisa and Tara (from DTI) gave me some drops for her - Dr. Petals Elixirs, Separation Anxiety. You give 8 drops morning and evening. They have really helped to calm her down and she is not as anxious when I leave the room now. I am trying to leave for just a few minutes and come back down if she isn't barking. I was actually able to have a shower by myself the other night!

I hope Minnie calms down for you soon :flwr:

Jackie said:
You could get another cavalier for company (y)

Thats the only way I got to be able to have a shower.Although they both sit outside the door waiting for me. They follow me everywhere in the house but when I go out they are fine. It's as if they know there's no point in fussing as there's nobody to listen! I know this because sometimes if my son has college late he will be upstairs and they don't know and he said there isn't a peep from them.

:flwr: Thanks for the advice folks. I am reluctant to leave her at the moment because she has stitches in but each time hubby is in I'm going to do as Karlin Suggested and let him do the feeding, weeing ,walks etc.
I love her to bits but it's not good for her to need me so much icon_devil
Her howling is hilarious though. I never knew that Cavs could sound so pitiful !! Rudee never ever did anything like that so this is completely new to me. As soon as there's no danger of her stitches bursting -it's going to be New Rules :yikes At the moment it's Minnie 3 :wggle: / Claire 0 icon_whistling

:flwr: :hug:

My Luke is a howler. I stoke the wood furnace before feeding the dogs in the morning. I don't let the dogs in the basement and this morning the fire was completely out. So it took me longer than normal in the basement, getting a fire going. While I was blowing on the fire to get it burning well, I hear Luke start to howl. He was hungry and wanted to know what was taking me so long. :lol:

Back