Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to Neuter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to Neuter

I've decided to finally have Cosmo neutered this Friday. He is 8 1/2 months old.

I do have a question though. He is already lifting his leg to pee. Does this mean that I'm having this done too late?

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say yes but I don't know for sure. I do hope you are ok on Friday, I know it's stressful.

Post Thanks / Like

Gus lifts his leg to wee but pippin doesn't . They were neutered at 3yrs (GUS) and 1 yr (PIPPIN).

I had a jack russel that was neutered at 6 months but only stared lifting his leg at 1 yr. So to answer your question . Not sure sorry? But think that once they lift they keep on lifting!

I do think it's a good idea to neuter though. Good luck for fri don't worry too much,he'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of leg lifting being a factor on why or why not to neuter. Spencer was lifting his leg long before he was done. No problems thus far. Good luck!
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

Nope ~ it doesn't mean you waited too long. In fact, Kosmo is lifting his leg and he was neutered BEFORE he started doing that. It just seems to come with instinct. Way to go for being able to wait 8 1/2 months!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Time to Neuter

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoKC
    I've decided to finally have Cosmo neutered this Friday. He is 8 1/2 months old.

I do have a question though. He is already lifting his leg to pee. Does this mean that I'm having this done too late?
    I love the fact that my boys lift their legs--- get a scented post - put it outside and they will almost always go to the post. My girls squat and walk and their feathering gets mucked up with ewwwh.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone

I think this is a great website!!!

I have a male Cav 7 months but im not sure wether I want him neutered. Can anyone give me some information on why I should get him neutered.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the best reason is so your dog doesn't smell a female in season and make a break for her. The need to mark things in the house tends to go way down once the testes are gone. jmo, sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley was neutered at 11mos. He starting lifting his leg before that time. He's three now, and he sometimes lifts his left and sometimes not. I think when he *really has to wee he just squats. He will then go around and lift his leg on a few spots for recreation's sake.

You didn't wait too long to neuter; some boys lift their legs and some don't, and some are like Bentley where it depends what mood they're in!

My breeder asked me to wait until at least a year before neutering. I don't remember anymore what the reason was!
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

I had Gus neutered at 8 and half months... he still lifts his leg sometimes but not all the time. The only thing I had to watch for was marking... for about a month after he was neutered when we went into a business or someone else's house I would watch him to make sure he didn't try to mark, if he did, I would say "No!". He finally broke the habit.
    Kath