Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Store Cav

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pet Store Cav

My local pet store has a cute little Cav, but I'm concerned about him. He is now about 5 months old and has been there (caged up) for about 2.5 - 3 months. I wonder if being caged up all of that time will have any adverse effects on him. Part of me wants to buy him just to get him out of there, but I really can't start thinking that way or I'll wind up with a house full of dogs. Plus, I'm not sure that Cosmo (8.5 months old) would be able to handle a puppy at this time. Sorry if this is a long post post, as I guess that I'm just venting.

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the pup IS suffering in the cage and it WILL have effects on it in the future. Also most likely is the fact that the dog is a mill dog, and will have health problems if not now in the future. While you may want to rescue the dog, you'd be taking on a lot more than another puppy.

It is heart breaking, which is one of the reasons so many people boycott petstores that sell puppies and get so angry at millers.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Mic Guest

If you buy him, another pup will soon follow in his footsteps...spending all day and night in a crate. You'd only be encouraging them to continue in that business. Sad, but true.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish there was a way to encourage considering him as a rescue pup.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Just My Own Opinion!

I know a lot of people think that they are "rescuing" when buying from a puppy store... but think of it this way... every time you buy one, another one comes in, thus lining the puppy miller's pockets with more money to keep doing the awful deed!

Trust me, I know how you feel. I just cringe every time we go into a puppy store. (i like to go get a puppy fix while waiting for Cicero). There have been 3 CKCS (2 blen [one $2400 other $1900], 1 tri [priced at $2300]) and my heart just aches knowing the problems they will face in thier future as a result of such poor living conditions for the first few months!

I don't even buy supplies or anything in Pet Stores (stores that sell dogs or cats for gain). I feel that even buying dog food or supplies is keeping that store in business, thus keeping puppy mills in business. This is why I give my business to stores like Petsmart and PetCo. I love how they support and encourage rescues!

Just My Own Opinion!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

Poor little thing. I'm afraid to ask, but what happens if no one buys the puppy? How long does a pet store keep them? He sure has been there a long time.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    Poor little thing. I'm afraid to ask, but what happens if no one buys the puppy? How long does a pet store keep them? He sure has been there a long time.
    I was told they always sell the puppies... and I am pretty sure the one by us does (i am getting to be good friends with one of the girls who works there [i am finding her a new job] and she feeds me some "insider info")... they just keep "knocking down" the price.

It is sad because they only buy the doggies for around $100 to begin with... so they make tons of money by telling you that $500 is a great deal... what they don't include is the fact that they are from poor breeding lines and the free spay and neuter offer in Columbus is a joke because the Humane Society has free/discounted clinics like once a month or so for people that can't afford a regular vet.

Which is crazy to think about!! Being a cavalier owner... I definitely understand the importance of a great relationship with a vet!!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

There must be a heck of a markup, all the puppies in a shop in Toronto are 50% off!!

Isn't that disgusting!!

Post Thanks / Like

The girl I talk with said that the two cavaliers they have right now, they bought for $150 each and they are selling for $1900 and $2300!!

They actually sold one of the blens and then the people brought it back the next day (they found out they couldn't have dogs at thier apartment --wouldn't you check this before hand?) and it was put right back into the cages with the other dogs!! They people bought the dog for $2400 and only got 2/3 of thier money back when they returned the doggie... and guess what... the pet store put the original price tag right back on the dog $2400!!

The girl also told me that the first price they tell you is the highest price they are allowed to ask and that they haggle down just to make a sale. She said it is all "just make the sale" and they have even been told to lie and say they know someone with the breed just to make the sale!! Crazyness... that is why I am helping her find a nannying job (she might takeover mine). She had no idea (like most people) what really went on at a pet store!!
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

i actually feelsick reading this, that is terrible!