• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Store Cav

So why don't more people know about that going on in Singapore? Wonder why it isn't on the News? Is there some way a petition can be started? I wonder....does Green Peace know about that???

As I said, I don't really understand the workings of puppy mills that much, only to understand that it is horrible. I wonder why PETA has not actively taken up the cause of puppy mills in the US. Maybe they have, and I just don't know about it. Anyone have any insight into this?

WOW...I had no idea. All I've ever heard about PETA was the anti fur campaigns. I just couldn't imagine why that would be a bigger deal to them than what is happening in puppy mills, and wondered why they weren't on that bandwagon. :yikes

I've looked at pet store dogs and oohed and aahed over them but I would NEVER buy one. As has been said, it simply perpetuates the use of puppy mills.

Tibby came from a puppy mill, so I know first hand of some of the emotional issues that they can have. It took quite some time to get the yellow blaze on her chest to turn to its natural white - and to get the smell out of her! She had never touched grass or been allowed to run, plus she had been debarked. And these people were getting $2500 for their puppies.

It is disgusting to think about, especially since those of us on this board love our own so much. No animal deserves to be brought into the world in a situation like that.

It's very hard to turn a blind eye to the dogs in a pet store, but we have to learn to do that. We hurt because we love.

OMG Woodhaven....Just googled PETA, and I am in shock. Thanks for educating me. Horrendous!

Peta and animal right groups don't want people to own (or eat) animals. They are willing to go to fanatic lengths to force us to stop. BUT -- they euthanize over 80% of the animals put in their "loving" care. They are also behind all the new legislation to make getting pets more difficult.
The comic book they hand to young children has a picture of a woman with a huge, bloody knife-- positioned over a frantic rabbit. Caption reads"YOUR mom kills animals". They hand these out to young kids.

What is their reason for not wanting people to own animals, or I guess I mean pets? I can assume the reason they don't want people to own food chain animals.

Shay said:
What is their reason for not wanting people to own animals, or I guess I mean pets? I can assume the reason they don't want people to own food chain animals.

They consider it servatude. ROTFLMAO-- who serves whom??? I have had numerous people say if they came back(reincarnated) as an animal-- please let it be one of my dogs.

That's funny, Sandy, as I've been told the same thing (about wanting to come back as one of my pets). I've requested that when I'm dying no one put my bed over yapping poodles.

I don't know as much as I should about PETA, but I do know that I don't have respect for them and their ideas. Rather fanatical is how I see them on TV.

This is why I love these boards. I have learned so much. I always thought PETA was a bunch of, well....nuts! But I couldn't understand why they would be opposed to fur, but not puppy mills. So it sounds like what you are saying is that they basically want animals to have the same rights as humans. Well, everyone has always told me that I pretty much treat my dogs like humans, but like you said they are the servees, not the servers :lol:

I went to a meeting at a Vet Conference where Betty White was the featured speaker. I met her earlier in the day and she is a lovely woman, so kind.

One of the main points she made in her speech was that animals do have rights. They have the right to be loved, to be given good food, to be taken care of, to have a good home.

That made a good impression on me!

I love Betty White, she is a huge animal advocate, as is Bob Barker, and Mary Tyler Moore.

Just an interesting tid-bit...

The AKC was actually at one point going to "team-up" with Petland (a puppy store who gets their puppies from millers and brokers). There was a mass amount of emails and letters into the AKC about how outraged its members and others were. They eventually pulled out of the deal.

I cringe every time I am at a pet store and they say a dog is AKC... most commonly now though they are "bragging" up the Continential Kennel Club (CKC) who in my opinion is hiding behind the Canadian Kennel Clubs letters to try and look good... just take a look at the Contiential website and I think you will be less than impressed at what it takes to get a dog registered... just money... blech!

Just thinking about what Karlin said re transporting pups from Ireland- has anyone tried lobbying the airlines? I mean, 25 tiny pups to a box- that's got to contravene some kind of legislation somewhere. I've seen the Animal Airport prog on telly and the people at LHR throw a fit if a dog is tranported in a box that's ever so slightly short or something. I find it hard to believe they'd condone packing pups like that. If the transport system could be disabled then wouldn't that put a certain number of puppy millers/brokers out of the business at a stroke?

MathisGreen said:
Just an interesting tid-bit...

The AKC was actually at one point going to "team-up" with Petsmart (a puppy store who gets their puppies from millers and brokers). There was a mass amount of emails and letters into the AKC about how outraged its members and others were. They eventually pulled out of the deal

I have never seen puppies for retail sale at Petsmart. Only rescue dogs and shelter dogs by volunteers on the weekends. Where have you seen puppy mill dogs for sale at a Petsmart?

In the US, the Department of Agriculture oversees most of the "mills." The current law treats dogs as livestock requiring only "minimal" care that is to include food, shelter and water.

Here are a few websites that will make you spitting mad but will also give you some ideas on how to take action. While I don't necessarily agree with every group, there is something to be said for each of them.

Warning, these sites are not for the weak of heart as they pretty much lay out the business of puppy milling in its worst (and accurate) light.

JaneB

www.stoppuppymills.org; www.nopuppymills.com; www.prisonersofgreed.org

Thanks Jane....... I haven't looked at the sites yet. Not sure if I can, but do want the information on how to take action, so I'll work up my nerve. I can't believe domesticated animals like dogs and cats are treated as livestock. :swear:

Shay said:
Petsmart does not sell puppies. Only offers space for adoptions from rescue and shelter volunteers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PetSmart

Oops... I meant Petland... I have tons on my mind this morning... The AKC was going to pair up with Petland.

Here are some links:

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/09/akc_petland_per.html

Okas [AKC spokesperson] said the AKC does not recommend buying dogs from pet shops. However, almost all of the dogs at Petland were AKC registered

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2006/09/...orting-notorious-puppy-mill-hunte-corporation

Back