• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

URGENT : Shipping Question

I would agree with you Raven that its best to pick up the pup in person if you can. Im sure its fine to ship pups but its something I would feel comfortable with and why add that stress on to yourself if its not necessary

I know you wouldnt want to drive 26 hours (who would?) but it would have been nice maybe if your husband could have come with you and you guys could have made a lil roadtrip of it together. My husband and I drove cross country this summer from NJ to Cali. I am extremely claustraphobic and it has gotten worse as I aged. I use to fly all over the world with my parents but now cant get myself onto one of those things to save my life. My best friend lives in Cali as she goes to grad school there and she was getting married one month before me out there. I was in the wedding so I couldnt not go so my husband planned a 2 week cross country trip for us and drove us there and back (I drove 1 hour in Iowa one morning when he was too tired) We stopped and saw things along the way so it wasnt driving straight through and it was a lot of fun. We spent July 4th (our anniversary) at the Grand Canyon watching the colors change. Though it was a bit hectic as it really was a month to our wedding literally when we got home it was a lot of fun and I recomend it if you have the time. :D

Lol... my hubby would love a road trip at this point...

Unfortunately... he is a 3rd year Medical Student and in the middle of his Surgical Rotation... I don't think his patients would appreciate thier surgeries being put on hold so thier doctor can pick up his puppy! Lol!

It is just fine that I am going alone. And, no way am I ever making that drive! Even when we move out west (at the end of med school) I am flying and we are hiring movers! LOL!

Well, still up in the air. I talked to Delta and they made me more at ease, I am definately using them. It is not flying with a dog that I am apprehensive about. It is the dog flying without me that I am looking into, and actually might do, which is why I was asking for people who have had this experience to help me understand what to do. I don't really appreciate all the comments (some are reassuring, which I was looking for) as they are making me feel like less of an owner, and I am NOT a crappy dog owner! Like I said before, I had never thought that flying a dog without an owner would be an option I would explore. This might be the first puppy I "ship." I am sure if it were not safe, that my father-in-law (a vet of 20+ years) and our breeder would have said something by now. Humph... okay... done venting... 'psh!

I don't think people were trying to imply that you were a "crappy dog owner." You asked for opinions and experiences, and that is what you got. :flwr:

My aunt had her dog shipped and she bounded out of her crate to my aunt like "No big deal, I love you! Are you my mommy?" That is just the nature of her dog, though. I think it will come down to the personality of the dog. I think Izzy and Tilly would do fine doing something like that, but Spencer would have a melt-down. Perhaps talking to your breeder about the puppy's personality thus far will help you make your decision.

Good luck! :flwr:

Raven,

Sorry to hear that you're a bit uneasy about some of these responses. Shipping a puppy in the cargo is safe and many people do it every day. It is really just a matter of personal opinion and everyone is untitled to their opinion. I'm sure that no one here was implying that you were a bad dog owner for thinking about shipping Cicero. What matters is that you are comfortable with the processes and policies in place at Delta and that they will keep you up-to-date with his progress en route.

Since he's a puppy, whether you fly with him or he flies in cargo, he will almost certainly sleep the whole way and not have any emotional effects from the shipping, especially if he has already been crate trained by the breeder.

Hope you can get this logistics issue worked out ASAP so that you can get back to being excited instead of worried! :D :flwr:

I hope my negative thoughts about putting a dog in cargo have not done a lot of harm. My opinion isn't worth a hill of beans in the grand scope of things! ;)

You have to do what makes you comfortable. Talk to your breeder - I'm sure that he/she has had experience with shipping dogs. We had a Cavalier breeder that used one of the vets I worked for and she frequently stopped by with one (or more) Cavaliers that she was shipping to New York - had to get health certificates on them first. She was very comfortable about it. And I believe that she always used Delta.

Again I'm sorry if my words were discouraging - wouldn't do it on purpose for the world. Just adding my own feelings to those of everyone else. And I, too, would be hesitant about a 26 hour drive!

Now get back to thinking about how much fun that baby is gonna be and stop worrying about what we think!! :D

Crittercall said:
I hope my negative thoughts about putting a dog in cargo have not done a lot of harm. My opinion isn't worth a hill of beans in the grand scope of things! ;)

You have to do what makes you comfortable. Talk to your breeder - I'm sure that he/she has had experience with shipping dogs. We had a Cavalier breeder that used one of the vets I worked for and she frequently stopped by with one (or more) Cavaliers that she was shipping to New York - had to get health certificates on them first. She was very comfortable about it. And I believe that she always used Delta.

Again I'm sorry if my words were discouraging - wouldn't do it on purpose for the world. Just adding my own feelings to those of everyone else. And I, too, would be hesitant about a 26 hour drive!

Now get back to thinking about how much fun that baby is gonna be and stop worrying about what we think!! :D

Everyones opinion counts. We are all adults and make decisions as we must. :D Dogs get shipped everyday. Some Westminster dogs will be going to NY via cargo. I am not comfortable doing it. I have a busy mom who will be flying from Seattle in a week to pick up her pup.

MathisGreen said:
I don't really appreciate all the comments (some are reassuring, which I was looking for) as they are making me feel like less of an owner, and I am NOT a crappy dog owner! Like I said before, I had never thought that flying a dog without an owner would be an option I would explore. This might be the first puppy I "ship." I am sure if it were not safe, that my father-in-law (a vet of 20+ years) and our breeder would have said something by now. Humph... okay... done venting... 'psh!

In your post you asked for personal experiences and information from people and I think that is what you were getting...honest opinions with good information and things to think about from both perspectives. I think what most people may be concerned about is the time of year you are looking to fly a pup cargo...February is going to be cold. And when cargo waits on the tarmac it is cold. The airlines might not even fly the dog if the temperature is not high enough.

I don't think anyone said anything about you as a pet owner. Everyone here loves dogs and is trying to help you with information. Do not take this personal. Just things to think about to make an informed decision that is in the best interests of you and dog.

I was paranoid flying our dog cargo. The week before her flight was when the Westminster winning dog last year escaped from his crate and went missing...last seen running through swamps. Yes, that is rare. But at that time a lot of the dog lists were full of dire warnings about dogs flying cargo. I wish I had not heard all those stories right before her flight.

And my personal opinion is that I would probably not fly a pup cargo in cold winter although I know it is done safely all the time. Again, that is JUST my humble opinion.

I wish you luck in making a decision that YOU are comfortable with (and that is what it is all about). You will do what is the right thing for your situation. If you decide to ship cargo, I am sure the pup will be fine. Our dog had a very good experience.

I have had multiple pets and friends and family's pets flown in via Delta ( cargo) over the years and everyone has been just fine. In my experience ( I have had 2 of my chihuahua's flown in to me from Michigan to Louisiana ,both chi's were only 2 lbs .Colby's breeder got a 1 1/2 lb chi flown in to her from my chi breeder, my SIL got her chi ( 3 lbs) from that breeder as did another friend of mine ....all were pleasant experiences with NO stressed out dogs ) .

Delta hand carries the crates to the plane, there are no crates sitting on tarmacks , and the cargo area is climate controlled to cabin temperature . I have also had them refuse to ship a dog due to the temperature being too high or low ....so they are careful and they do have strict regulations.

I'm not saying nothing can happen . But , Delta has been great in the times we have used them and I wouldnt hesitate getting a dog shipped to me if the flight times were good .

I dont know about the UK .....but getting a dog shipped cargo is cheaper here in the US compared to a flight ticket for yourself and the dog . I think it costs under 200.00 to ship a dog via cargo , compared to a flight of approx 350.00 and a 80.00 ticket for the pup ;)

Oh... my ... i didn't mean to offend either icon_blshing ... I was just saying... I feel like such a crappy owner!

Anywho... Delta is definately who we are going with. After speaking to them today... it makes me a little more at ease.

And in the long run that's all that matters - how YOU feel about the situation with YOUR dog. :D

I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm a worrier, and worry about any and everything. I've considered driving to KY with Wallis for her surgery because I know the doctor that I would take her to up there and could watch the surgery. I don't have that comfort zone here so I've worried myself into a tizz about it.

But just think - with all the hugs and prayers and wings helping lift and carry that little baby to you - it'll be fine!!

If it makes you feel any better, my little Zoey is flying Delta all by her lonesome and is arriving tommorrow night. She is flying from South Dakota all the way to Tampa, Florida (3-4) non stop. I will let you know how everything works out, then maybe both of us can have peace of mind!! :flwr:

Back