• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unsure about chicken

Joanne M

I've been giving Tucker, a 1/2 cup of kibble twice/day with a fresh protein sprinkled over the top. It's usually boiled chicken, but a couple of times a week I vary it with scrambled egg or lowfat cottage cheese. My question is, I boil the chicken with the skin on, and remove the skin after the chicken has been boiled/cooked. Is this okay? My thinking is the fat from the skin is boiled off. But after reading the post about pancreatitis, I'm wondering if I'm wrong and there is still too much fat by boiling with the skin on. It's much easier this way, but I sure don't want to make Tucker sick.

We used to cook a lot of chicken for our Charley and I always pulled the skin off before boiling.

You're right about the fat coming to the top if you have time to cool it....then lift the fat off, but I was concerned that some might stay in the meat.

The only time we leave the skin on fowl, is roasted turkey. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks ladies, I'm glad I asked. Guess he'll get some cottage cheese in the morning till I get more chicken. I've never eaten it this way before and since I've been giving it to Tucker I've been eating it too. I started to think it tasted too good to be fat free. Bummer, it sure is easy this way. But not at the expense of Tucker's health.

:flwr: :flwr:

Ah ha!!

A kindred spirit!

Why cook twice theory at work.....after boiling the chicken, I'd take large pieces, put it in a glass dish with spaghetti sauce and a bit of cheese, then melt it in the microwave.

Voila! Chicken parmesan...done the quick and easy way!! :lol:

when zack's digestive tract was ravaged by worms, when he was recovering, i was advised by people on cavalier talk to feed him boiled chicken and white rice. The recommended chicken was boneless skinless chicken breast, with no fat., so i bought the chicken breasts already boneless and skinless from the store, they had very little fat on them. It smelled good when it was cooking and it tasted great, to me, and to zack, even with no salt or anything, just the chicken, and the rice. I ate it plain when i fixed it for him, without the rice, i'd nibble on it, i made plenty. yummy, it was moist. no wonder he was so resistent to be changed from that diet to regular dog food, canned or kibble, for a long time, he wasn't interested.

Back