• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying at 6 months - what age did your pup go into heat?

PamH

My vet told me to bring Maddy in at 6 months for her spay.
I noticed on the internet that some pups can go into heat at 6 months.
What are the chances she will have her "season" before she is 6 months old?
Pam

We had one come it once at just over 5 months, but like Sandy said most are in that 7 to 9 month range.

Amber was done a week ago Monday past and she only turned six months Saturday past. They'll check with you and also check her themselves to make sure she isn't going into heat before they go ahead though. If your vet agrees I'd get it done the early side of six months. I went through heat with Holly and if you're not going to breed, it's a lot more hassle than simply keeping the pup under control for a week or so post spay.

This may seem like a silly question...but then again I have only had boys so forgive my niavity...

What can't you spay when the girls are in heat? :?

Dunno. I've always thought maybe increased risk of haemorrhage? Maybe it puts the system under too much of a strain hormonally? I'd like to know too, actually.

During a season a bitches uterus swells with blood-- when you spay -- it is an Ovario-hysterectomy- removal of uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. You don't want that much blood loss unnecessarily.

Ohhhh. I get it ;) Makes perfect sense now. Call me stupid but I always just assumed it would be more messy. :lol: It's a good thing that I've only had boys up until now!!

Back