• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Still limping

GusWilson

Well, Gus is still limping periodically so I took him to the vet for x-rays. At first my vet thought maybe there was something wrong with the way his elbow had grown together, but after the orthopedic surgeon looked at the x-ray they ruled out a congenital problem. Which is good, but little Gus is still limping. He gave me an anti-inflamitory and said to monitor him for a week and see if there are any improvments. If not, we are supposed to go back for a physcial exam with the orthopedist and run more tests.

Has anyone ever had problems with their dogs elbows?

Sorry I can't give any personal experiences or really offer much help. All I can see is I hope Gus is ok and just has a strained muscle or something. My best wishes to him :flwr:

Sometimes things take ages to get better esp in a leg as he won't be resting it. How long ago did it happen? Glad it wasn't something congenital though, that must be a relief. :flwr:

If they continue to be unable to find anything, do talk to your vet about syringomyelia and ask whether he should be evaluated by a neurologist. Weak or painful limbs are one of the possible signs of this condition and the dog will not necessarily be showing any other symptoms. Most likely something else will be spotted but it is one of the possibilities that should be checked in a dog that shows absolutely no other reason for a problem with its limbs.

When Scout was about four months old she started to limp on her right front leg. For no apparent reason. She was walking, then all of the sudden started to limp, no crying or whimpering. I took her to my vet who x-rayed her little leg only to find nothing. It lasted about 4-5 weeks then just as sudden as it came on, it went away. No explanation.

Well, little Gus man went back to the vet today and the orthopedist took a look at him. He pinpointed his discomfort in his left shoulder so now Gus is having a test done where they inject dye into the joint and then take a "gamma photo" to see where the inflamation is coming from. He was confident that at his young age we should be able to nip this in the bud so he is back to normal. Fingers crossed that this test rules out any tears or rips and confirms it is a strain.

I just hate seeing the little guy limp, just breaks my heart.

Apple cider vinegar is a great anti inflam. My friend and her farrier both swear by it. 1-2 mls in food twice a day. If thats any help.

Good luck Gus, at my old stables we used arnica for any soreness or limping, or to bring out bruises - not sure if any good for dogs...

Well, Gus was at the animal hospital all day today have a bone scan to see what is going on with his shoulder. The x-rays ruled out bone problems and now this will show if there is any soft tissue problems. My vet gets the results in the morning so I should know something tomorrow. I just want to know what is going on so Gus can get back to his normal romps to the park!

sorry just caught this thread....hope all goes well with the scan...best of luck! let us know how it turns ouT! :flwr:

Back