Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about coughing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about coughing

Just about every time Lily drinks water she coughs like she is choking. She has done this since we have had her. She doesn't do this when she eats food, only with water. Could it be that she is drinking too fast and getting choked or could it be something else?
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I must say I love your new Avatar. I think Lily is so sweet, however I may need to ask you to email me your first avatar of Lily. The one where she is tucked under the comforter on the big bed. It has always been one of my nieces favorite puppy pictures. She always ask to look at Lily's picture whenever we look at the site together.

I wish I could remember what book I was reading I can vaguely recall it made mention that some dogs gulp too much water, too soon and it could cause some problems. It did not advocate limiting the water intake, just limiting the volume that was put in the bowl. Being the total novice that I am, and not fully understanding what I was reading, I made the decision to replenish his water often throughout the day rather than give him full bowls at a time.

I know that may not have anything to do with what Lily is experiencing, but I sure wish that it were as easy as this to fix. Good luck honey with your little baby. Lily is lucky to have such a caring mum.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, my two do this also and only with water also. Only lasts a second or so. Not sure why though, sorry - no help
    Max (Tri Babe) & Bran (The Ruby Man) & Springer Sal (Waiting at the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's to do with the soft palate - I can't remember the exact details, I know Karlin knows more about it though!

Rupert did this until he was about 9 1/2 - when he finally seemed to learn how to drink properly LOL

Kyla also does it a couple of times every time she drinks - doesn't seem to cause her any anxiety though.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Charley did it too, when he was older....no idea why.

Lily is all grown up in the new avatar.

I, too, loved the picture of her in bed....it was the first one I showed to my family.

Post Thanks / Like

Our Blenhiem boy, Charley (6), has done it as long as we can remember. Our Ruby girl, Megan (4), has never done it.

Among our other 4 dogs (non-cavvys) only our Pekinese mix, Mocha (11), does it. All the rest do not.

(Except our Amazon Parrot, Katy, who mimics the dogs coughing perfectly and always gets doggymom and I all cranked up we she does that cause we think we got another furbaby coughing. )
    Doggydad to Charley (Blen), Megan (Ruby), Mocha (Pekinese-Shih Tzu mix), Abby (Heinz 57 mix), Hobie (Poodle mix), Bessie (Min-Poodle) Butch (mix) and Snickers at The Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh........Thank goodness, it just sounds like just another Cav thing. I keep saying these doggies are like no other, and Lily proves it every day. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Thanks everyone for the comments. I feel better now.

Joanne and Zippy......I will e-mail that pic of Lily. It's one as my favorites as well. She has grown up so much since that pic was taken. I brought her to my Mom's today and she hasn't seen her in a few weeks. She couldn't believe how much she has grown and what a wild woman she is.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Ollie does it! Really freaked me out at first.. still does kind of
    Emily and Ollie (29/10/06)

Post Thanks / Like

LOL at doggydad's parrot katy!!!
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doggydad
    (Except our Amazon Parrot, Katy, who mimics the dogs coughing perfectly and always gets doggymom and I all cranked up we she does that cause we think we got another furbaby coughing. ) [/color]
    That is so funny. My cousin has a cockatiel or is it cockatoo . He has had Teela since he was about 14 and he is now 48. She sounds just like whomever she is mimicking. Sometimes it freaks you out when you don't know it's her. She's a cranky old lady now, and talks constantly driving them crazy
    Sharon,