• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about coughing

Shay

Just about every time Lily drinks water she coughs like she is choking. She has done this since we have had her. She doesn't do this when she eats food, only with water. Could it be that she is drinking too fast and getting choked or could it be something else?

By the way, I must say I love your new Avatar. I think Lily is so sweet, however I may need to ask you to email me your first avatar of Lily. The one where she is tucked under the comforter on the big bed. It has always been one of my nieces favorite puppy pictures. She always ask to look at Lily's picture whenever we look at the site together.

I wish I could remember what book I was reading I can vaguely recall it made mention that some dogs gulp too much water, too soon and it could cause some problems. It did not advocate limiting the water intake, just limiting the volume that was put in the bowl. Being the total novice that I am, and not fully understanding what I was reading, I made the decision to replenish his water often throughout the day rather than give him full bowls at a time.

I know that may not have anything to do with what Lily is experiencing, but I sure wish that it were as easy as this to fix. Good luck honey with your little baby. Lily is lucky to have such a caring mum.

hmm, my two do this also and only with water also. Only lasts a second or so. Not sure why though, sorry - no help

It's to do with the soft palate - I can't remember the exact details, I know Karlin knows more about it though!

Rupert did this until he was about 9 1/2 - when he finally seemed to learn how to drink properly LOL

Kyla also does it a couple of times every time she drinks - doesn't seem to cause her any anxiety though.

Charley did it too, when he was older....no idea why.

Lily is all grown up in the new avatar. :flwr: :flwr:

I, too, loved the picture of her in bed....it was the first one I showed to my family. :)

Our Blenhiem boy, Charley (6), has done it as long as we can remember. Our Ruby girl, Megan (4), has never done it.

Among our other 4 dogs (non-cavvys) only our Pekinese mix, Mocha (11), does it. All the rest do not.

(Except our Amazon Parrot, Katy, who mimics the dogs coughing perfectly and always gets doggymom and I all cranked up we she does that cause we think we got another furbaby coughing. :lol: )

Sheesh........Thank goodness, it just sounds like just another Cav thing. I keep saying these doggies are like no other, and Lily proves it every day. :) Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Thanks everyone for the comments. I feel better now.

Joanne and Zippy......I will e-mail that pic of Lily. It's one as my favorites as well. She has grown up so much since that pic was taken. I brought her to my Mom's today and she hasn't seen her in a few weeks. She couldn't believe how much she has grown and what a wild woman she is.

Doggydad said:
(Except our Amazon Parrot, Katy, who mimics the dogs coughing perfectly and always gets doggymom and I all cranked up we she does that cause we think we got another furbaby coughing. :lol: ) [/color]

That is so funny. My cousin has a cockatiel or is it cockatoo . He has had Teela since he was about 14 and he is now 48. She sounds just like whomever she is mimicking. Sometimes it freaks you out when you don't know it's her. She's a cranky old lady now, and talks constantly driving them crazy :lol:

Shay said:
Doggydad said:
(Except our Amazon Parrot, Katy, who mimics the dogs coughing perfectly and always gets doggymom and I all cranked up we she does that cause we think we got another furbaby coughing. :lol: ) [/color]

That is so funny. My cousin has a cockatiel or is it cockatoo . He has had Teela since he was about 14 and he is now 48. She sounds just like whomever she is mimicking. Sometimes it freaks you out when you don't know it's her. She's a cranky old lady now, and talks constantly driving them crazy :lol:

Yeah...I know exactly how they feel. Our little poophead drives me nuts really. :drivecar: (short trip.. :lol: )

Katy has bonded with my wife and mimics many of her words and sounds such as laughter. It's so precisely exact it's eerie. For instance my wife gets a lot of laughs out of the TV program Two & A-Half Men among others. Then, if she happens to be elsewhere when one of the actors makes a joke, Katy laughs exactly like her right on cue! :yikes

Then another thing that makes me suspect she's really an alien from another world is when she answers the phone. (Katy that is). The phone will ring once or twice before one of us can get to it then Katy says; "Hello?". Of course I'm thinking that momma got it so I stop going in that direction then the phone will ring again and again Katy says; "Hello?". Then I realize I've been had again! :sl*p:

Here's a few pics of our little ventriloquist;

Katy1.jpg

Katy2.jpg

Looks completely innocent doesn't she?

:lol: :lol: Funny! Poophead....hilarious!! :lol: :lol:

Lovely pictures of your ventriloquist! :D :flwr:

Doggydad said:
Yeah...I know exactly how they feel. Our little poophead drives me nuts really. :drivecar: (short trip.. :lol: )

Katy has bonded with my wife and mimics many of her words and sounds such as laughter. It's so precisely exact it's eerie. For instance my wife gets a lot of laughs out of the TV program Two & A-Half Men among others. Then, if she happens to be elsewhere when one of the actors makes a joke, Katy laughs exactly like her right on cue! :yikes

When my cousin was not home one day (he must have had Teela for about 2 years at that point, he was only about 16 at the time) several family memebrs were at his house visiting my Aunt. We kept hearing "Roll Tide" coming from David's bedroom, and we thought David had come home. It was Teela, and David had taught her to say this, as his whole family are huge U of Alabama fans. Anyway, some of us visiting, being huge Auburn U fans thought it would be funny to teach Teela to say "War Eagle". We had her saying War...War by the time we left. A few days later, my Aunt called my Mom laughing hysterically saying that Teela had been saying "War Eagle" for days. David was furious wanting to know how his bird learned this horrible phrase. :lol: We still laugh about this today almost 35 years later. David still doesn't think it's funny.

Teella hates his wife and they have now been married alomost 20 years. Mary Lynn still can't get too close to her cage. Teela goes nuts. :)

I have to ask: if the parrot is in a cage, how does it get to the phone?!!!!

I remember walking into a pet shop years ago and being most disconcerted when I kept hearing wolf whistles. Penny finally dropped that it was a parrot. And when we visited my aunt and uncles in Sydney, Oz- they had wild cockatoos in their back garden!!!!

Shay Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:47 pm
When my cousin was not home one day (he must have had Teela for about 2 years at that point, he was only about 16 at the time) several family memebrs were at his house visiting my Aunt. We kept hearing "Roll Tide" coming from David's bedroom, and we thought David had come home. It was Teela, and David had taught her to say this, as his whole family are huge U of Alabama fans. Anyway, some of us visiting, being huge Auburn U fans thought it would be funny to teach Teela to say "War Eagle". We had her saying War...War by the time we left. A few days later, my Aunt called my Mom laughing hysterically saying that Teela had been saying "War Eagle" for days. David was furious wanting to know how his bird learned this horrible phrase. :lol: We still laugh about this today almost 35 years later. David still doesn't think it's funny. :)

That's a great story! College football team allegiance runs deep everywhere in the US, especially between family members, so it's always kewl when you can plant a long-term irritant like that to agitate the opposition. :lol:

Teella hates his wife and they have now been married alomost 20 years. Mary Lynn still can't get too close to her cage. Teela goes nuts.
That's the down side of owning large or exotic birds as pets. They typically bond to only one person and that's normally for life. Katy for instance has bonded totally to my wife. I can't even go into the cage to clean or change the water without her getting upset and hanging a cussing on me in Parrot talk. In fact, (and I know she'll get a lot of support here for this trait) she hates men altogether! Any male that comes into the house, no matter if it's a familiar family member or a complete stranger like the pizza delivery guy or service guy, she raises all kinds of heck. You'd think someone was assaulting her. But let a woman come in, and she chatters and coos like a dove. Obviously all is right with the world when just the ladies are around.

Our Macaw on the other hand is just the opposite. He's bonded to me and hates doggymom for some reason and she's never done anything to earn his negative attitude. Although he continues to try her patience. I'm surprised he hasn't earned his way into a new parrot stew recipe in our kitchen.

Here's a few pics of our big guy "Taco". He's 4' from beak to tip of tail and just shy of 5 lbs.

Taco1.jpg

Taco2.jpg

Sorry for the run-away thread guys. I know this got way off subject and I apologize for that. :roll:

He's beautiful!!!! How old are your birds? I think they can live into their 60's and 70's????

Shay said:
He's beautiful!!!! How old are your birds? I think they can live into their 60's and 70's????

They are both 15 yrs. old. We raised the Macaw (Taco) from a chick. We got Katy (Double Yellow-Head Amazon) when she was already an adult (4). That was a gamble because she was un-domesticated but she has turned into a great personality.

Yes, if cared for properly, they will live 75 yrs. and beyond. Because of their long life spans, we have provided for them both in our wills. (Along with our mutt-lets of course :lol: )

Back