• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Karlin- you mentioned 3 makes a pack - Pack Behavior???

duncans_ma

With all of the talk about adding another dog, my DH and I were discussing it as well. All of this move talk has gotten us thinking we may end up in a larger house and yard and may want to add another to our group.

To those of you that have more than 2 dogs, specifically cavaliers, what behavior changes do we need to be aware of? What would you warn against? What is the plus side of having more? Any education would be appreciated.

The first thing that comes to mind, is to spend time training your new one, while the other cavaliers are not in the room. Teaching them to obey commands is ultra important, so that the dog listens to you. It also gives the dog that one-on-one time that they crave with you.

I got Luke when he was 3.5 years old and he had not been trained in obedience. He learned quickly, for treats. :lol: And he learned all the commands by the time I had him for 2 months.

For a puppy, I wait until I see that the puppy can pay attention to me. Then I start with sit and work up to other commands, when I see the puppy is learning.

My avatar is an example of this training. I taught them all the STAY command. It is so important in so many situations and it helps to get group photos! :snap:

One important thing is to be sure that they each spend time away from one another so they don't become overdependent on each other.

Spend some one on one time with each one, and take each one with you separately to various places. Ditto with leaving each one home alone on occasion.

I personally feel that once you have two, adding another one (or so! icon_whistling ) isn't that big of a deal. The older ones help train the littler ones and they keep each other occupied (albeit that occupation is sometimes kinda NOISY).

I don't think I'd have a "singleton" dog again! They are so much more contented with other beasts of their kind living with them.

:yikes :yikes W A R N I N G ! ! ! :yikes :yikes

You are showing early signs of Multi-Cav Syndrome, aka MCS.

It's innocently prompted by perusing puppy pictures, but you're break-down bound when your beloved finds you crunched in the closet on the phone begging breeders for babies.

Seek support straight-away.

Or purchase puppy pads, pronto!
:flwr:

Here, Here Mic!!! you are soooooo correct!! Hence my little baby girl who is flying in on Sat!!!! lol!! You would think 2 would be sufficient, but there is some innate drive, almost like a crack addiction that forces you to complete the set!!! :lol:

To answer your question duncan's ma, I have noticed that since Cody has turned 6 months old (even though he is already nuetered) the boys are starting to compete with each other, especially over toys. It seems like he is trying to climb his way up in the pecking order and is constantly trying to steal other's chewies and protect his own. I have learned to give him his chewies in a crate until everyone else is done or he will start a rumble. Also, he is fed seperately so he doesn't hoover everyone else's food. the issues are minor, but they just need to be delt with immediatly so the problem doesn't escalate. Every issue we have had has been completely managable. ;)

Mic said:

It's innocently prompted by perusing puppy pictures, but you're break-down bound when your beloved finds you crunched in the closet on the phone begging breeders for babies.

:lol: :lol:

I didn't get help soon enough and look at me now!!

Mic said:

ROTFLMBO--- I must have a bad case!!!

Ashley,

You are lucky - I'm havig to take drugs to stop me fromgetting another :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: b ut then agan a b&t would so fit in with your guys......... keep us posted!

I am really interested if anyone does have any tips on how three behave together over two. We certainly aren't in the market yet, as Arthur is only 8 months old, but maybe in 6 months to a year.

What is it about having to complete the set.....

We always say if we had the other two colors they would be Oliver (b/t) and Frederick (tri)

Back