• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anybody heard of "carbohydrate loading?"

arasara

Hi guys ~

6 more days until Faith comes!! :)

I am so excited!

I am wondering if any of you have ever heard of a process called carbohydrate loading..???

This information is taken from www.continental.com and says this:

Continental Airlines' consulting Veterinarian recommends that customers shipping small or toy breeds that are less than 12 weeks old and less than 3 lb (approx 1.5 kg) follow these precautionary steps to ensure their safe transportation:

Do not vaccinate these puppies within 3 days of transport
Do not worm these puppies within 3 days of transport
Ensure that no medical procedures are performed on the puppy within 3 days of transport
Use honey or White Karo syrup for "carbohydrate loading" for the 24-hour period just prior to shipping (to help maintain glucose levels in the puppy while in transit).
Continental's consulting veterinarian recommends these steps because a puppy less than 3 lb (approximately 1.5 kg) and 16 weeks of age cannot store glycogen in its liver which means it may not be able to regulate its own sugar/glucose levels. Lowered glucose levels in these pups could result in hypoglycemic episodes including seizures, reduction of body temperature (hypothermia) and could severely compromise the health of your pet.

I asked the vet around here and she said that although it's not mandatory to do, because of the age and size of the puppy I should consider buying something called "nutrapet" which is basically the same thing and if she looks lethargic or like she's not getting enough then give her a finger full of that.

What do yall suggest?

I'd follow their instructions and that of your vet.

I guess it's in case they're shipped alone, (which you're not doing) and might have a delay.

It's to keep their electrolytes in balance and their "sugars" up.

Good idea if they'll be alone or for connecting flights.

I'm so happy for you! :flwr:

Have you told Kosmo yet? :lol: :lol:

Yep I told Kosmo! :lol: :lol:

He's very excited to have a friend come - he just doesn't understand that she's not leaving after he's done playing.. icon_whistling

He's going to just love her Zippy ~ he's such a social dog. When we see another dog on a walk that he gets to say hi to when I say "OK time's up lets go!" he cries :( It makes me sad - he'll really enjoy having someone to romp all over.. 8)

I just had never heard of carbohydrate loading - weird. I will be with her - thank Goodness.

The only thing that's weird is that this nutrapet stuff apparently comes in a toothpaste like tube and i know it's "illegal" to carry on stuff like that. If I could say it's "medicine" though?? It technically could be used as medicine. I hope I get nice flight attendents that let me take her out and put her on my lap. :flwr:

Gracie's mommy -

Thanks for the info. I will probably get the smallest tube I can find. I don't know what category that would fall under. I mean - it's not medicine - it's more of an "energy booster." I don't even think you need a perscription for it. I was just saying it could technically be "considered" medicine because of the role it's playing - stabilizing the dog's inner levels. I don't think I'll have a problem with it. If I do I will ask to be transferred to the next higher-up and so on. Hopefully all will go well. I don't foresee having to use it, but it's nice to have stuff like that on hand just in case. It will be nice to be able to watch her during the flight.

I know when puppy's come in from shipping that it is recomended to give them Nutri-cal (same thing as above). It's just a high calorie agent that keeps the pups from going hypoglycemic from the stress.

You must be so excited!!!! I about to burst just because I got news that I am allowed to get a new pup!!! You must be on the verge of implosion!!! :D :D :D

In a pinch, you could ask the flight attendant for some sugar and water.

Mix them and give it to her from your finger.

Does the same thing....keeps her stable.

I think it's more for doggies that are being shipped and might get somewhat depleted.

The security is very tight....they pulled a lot of folks over when we flew. :flwr:

Just a tip...wear sandals or something that slips off easily. And have fun! :flwr:

Maybe I'll do the honey - I can't imagine you'd get kicked off a plane for honey and it seems much more natural.

I am exploding - yep! I am so excited. And Mickey has started to get all of my "equipment" that I sent for her. She got the carrier, Roxanne's stuff, and petco order! lol ~ more is on the way

SOME spoiled little girl! :flwr:

Not to be annoyingly persistent here, but the TSA will not allow a container of any liquid or gel larger than 3 oz. This is an important clarification because even some of us who work in the industry didn't realize this at first. It's not an issue of how much is in the container, but that the actual container can only hold 3 oz or less. They are annoyingly picky at the checkpoint! :yikes

I actually got caught with a container with less than 3oz of liquid, but bigger container. It was a Christmas gift from a friend and I felt better caring it in my bag than checking it. No dice...had to leave it with my friend until she could ship it. totally annoying! :sl*p:

6 days! It'll be here before you know it! Can't wait to see pics of Kosmo and Faith together...she's such a cutie and he's so handsome! They'll be an adorable pair! :D

thanks for the clarifications.

No offense if you're a checker-inner (what's that? :lol: ) but they can be a real pain sometimes!!

I will try to look for the smallest amount of honey I can possibly find!!

It's ridiculous that people had to ruin this for us. :(

Don't think honey is on the YES list....they'll throw it out if there's any question.

Faith probably won't need anything, you'll be with her anyway.

We were in Montana when they came down with the "no water" rule!!

That was awful flying with only 4 oz per passenger!!

We connected in Denver and had no time for even a drink of pop!

I could have drank everyones' drink when they came around... :lol: :lol:

When we flew to Phoenix, they had relaxed the rules a bit, thank heavens!!

How long is your flight?? :)

Nope, not a screener. I work at corporate headquarters for an airline...which means I fly a lot! And I definitely agree that things are way to complicated now and that they can be quite rude! What's especially troublesome is that sometimes they don't know the latest rules but will fight you until you can produce the latest regulation from the website or whatever. Seriously, print the info from the website to take with you! :sl*p:

The regs have been changed to allow any liquids or gels as long as their in approved containers. So, a small container of honey would be fine.

Were you able to find a direct flight or will you be connecting somewhere?

Unfortunately the little rock airport is so incredibly small that there are only few airports that fly directly into it. I have to connect and i chose memphis TN because it wasn't too far out of the way and it breaks up the flight a lot. The flight back with time changes will be 4 "real" hours. The connection is 1 1/2 horus so really 2 1/2 hours we'll be in the air if things go well.

I'm hoping to convince faith to pee in the bathroom on a pee pad in between flights or something. I haven't decided yet. I hope that if she has an accident the flight attendants will be kind enough to let me take her in the bathroom and clean her up - If she poops i feel sorry for the passengers sitting next to me.. icon_blshing

Oh well all will be fine.

I will be printing everything I feel is relevant especially since I'll have a puppy and who knows how strict they can be.. I tell you what I'm not leaving that place without her! :lol: :lol:

Hi Sara, wow it is so exciting but you don't realise all the complications that can arise. We have used Nutrapet many times with our crew when they haven't been well and have lost their appetite. They love it and it sort of smells like caramel. We just buy it at Petbarn and it is not as runnny as honey and therefore would not be as messy. Would you be able to get a letter from your vet stating Faith's requirement for it during the flight?
Best of luck with everything
Julie and the girls

Back