• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

To neuter or not to neuter?

Hi, I'm new to this group, but my puppy Cosmo (Cosmokc) is already posted. My husband is on here too. I enjoyed reading alot of the posts and info on Cavalier's that I wanted to join in too.

I love my puppy Cosmo (he's my little cutie, wootie!) He's 8.5 months old and have scheduled him to be neutered this friday. I feel aweful I know plenty have it done. I just worried its going to change him somehow. I love him the way he is. I heard that this operation can sometimes change their disposition is that true.

Thanks for your help?

I had Harvey done at 8 months and he has not changed at all. Still the same old big softy he ever was. Now he is over a year he does sleep more but I think that is just an age thing. People kept telling me his coat wouldnt be as nice but it is now coming through and it is lovely. My Niece is head nurse at my vets and she got the vet to have a long chat about neutering with me. It can protect from certain cancers and there did not seem to be any disadvantages if you do not intend to breed.

Their personality will not change at all from how he is right now :). If anything, by neutering, he will *not* gain some aspects of personality many people really do not like! He will change more by not neutering than by neutering. Also, by neutering you greatly reduce the risk of him wanting to wander (a male scenting a female in heat will often do anything to escape -- and will run up to several miles to find her), and other health problems males can have. And you get a more settled personality. If you have concerns, talk to your vet's office -- that is what they are there for.

I've neutered about 30 cavaliers and never had a problem. The boys is an especially fast and relatively simple procedure. And many neuter the boys because some *become* problems when left intact.

An intact boy needs a lot more managing -- around females, around other males (he will generally be more likely to be aggressive), in any home he visits (he will almost definitely lift his leg and spritz urine all over furniture, curtains etc unless restrained at all times or trained not to do this), will likely have increased humping behaviour on people, things and other dogs. Their urine is also very strongly scented. You must keep him on the lead at all times to not risk having him take off after a female in heat, to be lost permanently/stolen. And they are at higher risk of prostrate problems as they age. I've had to neuter intact males of 7 years+ *solely* because they are already developing prostrate problems by that age for having been left intact. These are some of the reasons many people (and vets) prefer to neuter. :)

Also: whatever about the above -- good breeders almost always have a spay/neuter clause in your homing contract. If you homed from a responsible breeder you likely have an AKC or CKCSC dog on limited registration -- and a neuter clause written in to your homing contract. This means you must neuter.(y) You can ring your breeder to confirm but generally responsible breeders only sell a puppy in the US on open registration to experienced show people/breeders because of the risk the dog will be used for breeding when s/he is pet, not breeding quality.

NB: I am moving this to the Health section as it is in the introductions section at the moment, where it doesn;t really belong. (y)

Thanks

Thank's for all your advise. I guess we are going through with it tommorrow morning. I have to drop him off at 7:30-8am and pick him up when he's ready. I'm gonna miss him running around the house tommorrow :( . I'll be thinking about him all day. I know its for the best.

Well, Cosmo is at the Vet getting "fixed". I'm nervous, but I'm sure that all will be fine. Just nervously waiting for the phone call from the Vet telling us that he is done.

CosmoKC said:
Well, Cosmo is at the Vet getting "fixed". I'm nervous, but I'm sure that all will be fine. Just nervously waiting for the phone call from the Vet telling us that he is done.

Neutering is a VERY simple surgery. If both testicles are down - they don't even have to invade the major body cavity. They heal in a few days and the scrotum just kinda flattens.

Cosmo is home and doing well. He was a little off yesterday, but today he seems to be getting back to his old self.

Glad that all turned out okay, and "Amen" to all Karlin wrote!

It took me forever to get my friend to have her two male poodles castrated. She thought she wanted to breed one of them but I encouraged her to look at him honestly and see if she wanted to continue some of his less desirable qualities (he's afraid of everything). Plus she wanted to breed with a maltese because her DIL wanted a malti-poo. I had to get on my soapbox about that! She laughed when one of them would hump her leg until I told her that he was showing that he was dominant over her. Then they started marking everything in her house and she finally said "Enough".

Neutered pets - male or female - always make better pets and are less likely to develop several different problems in the future.

You did good! :D Now give your boy lots of love and have fun.

Back