Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How quickly should puppies gain weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How quickly should puppies gain weight?

My Dottie went last week for her first puppy check and weighed 4.4 lbs.
    She went back yesterday (exactly one week later) and still weighed 4.4 lbs.! My vet didn't seem concerned, but I thought she should be continually gaining at least a bit of weight at this stage? She is just 11 weeks old. She pretty much has food available at all time in her Xpen, except for a few hours where I take it up to help with potty-training. I've never really seen her completely empty the dish and want more. Of course whenever she out in the house for playtime, the first thing she does is head to the cat food bowl!

If she doesn't look or feel like she has gained any over the next week, then I will be taking her back to my vet and having her weighed again. What does everyone here think about a week without weight gain? Does 4.4 lbs. sound about right for a female at 11 weeks?

Thanks in advance!
    Kim
    Mommy to Dottie - born November 5, 2006

Mic Guest

I'm fostering a little black and tan who was born right after your pup: Nov. 12. As of today, she weighs 4.5#. It sounds like Dottie's weight is okay, but I too would assume a growing young pup gains weight every week during this stage.

Maybe you should start keeping track of how much food you're offering her and how much and when she's eating & drinking each day. Gross as it may sound, you may want to include her potty schedule, too. That way, if she hasn't gained weight by next week's check (I can bring my pup's in any time and have their weight checked for free), you can give the vet a complete picture of what's going in...and what's going out.

Post Thanks / Like

The weight sounds fine. I think Lily weighed 5 lbs when we brought her in the day we picked her up at about 10 wks. I am no expert, so I can't comment on how much or if they should be gaining every week. I know that Lily was 7 lbs when we took her back 3 weeks later for her next round of shots, so she had gained 2 lbs in 3 weeks. I don't really think it's anything to worry about now. You could try the 15 min rule. Pick up her bowl after 15 mins until her next mealtime. I learned about that on here. Lily was like Dottie at her age, she would just pick at her food, and not very interested. When I stated picking up her bowl, it took her about 2 or 3 days to realize she had better eat while it was down. I was so worried at first and had even started hand feeding her because she just wasn't eating. Big Mistake...I also found that out here. They are very smart and catch on quickly. You may want to try that for a couple of days. Good luck
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

I am beginning to get worried. Mr. Quincy is 9 1/2 months and only weighs 11 pounds. He looks very healthy, is very energetic, eats well, etc. Should we be concerned, or is our baby just going to be a little peanut, which is what DH thinks? Many thanks for any comments on this...............

Post Thanks / Like

He's not fully grown yet, sounds like he's going to be a healthy puppy within the standard weight of 12-18 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for your comforting remark!

Post Thanks / Like

LindanQuincy ~

Don't be worried!! Your guy may just end up being a "little peanut" forever!! You have to remember breed standard is between 12-18lbs so your boy just seems to be at the bottom half of the scale. Kos is now 14lbs and he just has a small bone stature. Don't fret!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sara! Can't wait to see pictures of your new addition. I imagine six days must seem like forever...........

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't changed it yet ~ it's actually 5!!

I am going nuts - my tummy is in all sorts of knots ~ I AM SUCH A BABY! LOL

I can't wait though

mic n me are gonna go shoppin' when I get there too..
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tips! I do think that I should just pick her bowl up and give it only certain times of the day! I'll give that a try!
    Kim
    Mommy to Dottie - born November 5, 2006