• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How quickly should puppies gain weight?

Dottie

My Dottie went last week for her first puppy check and weighed 4.4 lbs.
She went back yesterday (exactly one week later) and still weighed 4.4 lbs.! My vet didn't seem concerned, but I thought she should be continually gaining at least a bit of weight at this stage? She is just 11 weeks old. She pretty much has food available at all time in her Xpen, except for a few hours where I take it up to help with potty-training. I've never really seen her completely empty the dish and want more. Of course whenever she out in the house for playtime, the first thing she does is head to the cat food bowl! :roll:

If she doesn't look or feel like she has gained any over the next week, then I will be taking her back to my vet and having her weighed again. What does everyone here think about a week without weight gain? Does 4.4 lbs. sound about right for a female at 11 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

I'm fostering a little black and tan who was born right after your pup: Nov. 12. As of today, she weighs 4.5#. It sounds like Dottie's weight is okay, but I too would assume a growing young pup gains weight every week during this stage.

Maybe you should start keeping track of how much food you're offering her and how much and when she's eating & drinking each day. Gross as it may sound, you may want to include her potty schedule, too. That way, if she hasn't gained weight by next week's check (I can bring my pup's in any time and have their weight checked for free), you can give the vet a complete picture of what's going in...and what's going out.

The weight sounds fine. I think Lily weighed 5 lbs when we brought her in the day we picked her up at about 10 wks. I am no expert, so I can't comment on how much or if they should be gaining every week. I know that Lily was 7 lbs when we took her back 3 weeks later for her next round of shots, so she had gained 2 lbs in 3 weeks. I don't really think it's anything to worry about now. You could try the 15 min rule. Pick up her bowl after 15 mins until her next mealtime. I learned about that on here. Lily was like Dottie at her age, she would just pick at her food, and not very interested. When I stated picking up her bowl, it took her about 2 or 3 days to realize she had better eat while it was down. :lol: I was so worried at first and had even started hand feeding her because she just wasn't eating. Big Mistake...I also found that out here. They are very smart and catch on quickly. You may want to try that for a couple of days. Good luck :flwr:

I am beginning to get worried. Mr. Quincy is 9 1/2 months and only weighs 11 pounds. He looks very healthy, is very energetic, eats well, etc. Should we be concerned, or is our baby just going to be a little peanut, which is what DH thinks? Many thanks for any comments on this...............

He's not fully grown yet, sounds like he's going to be a healthy puppy within the standard weight of 12-18 lbs. :) :flwr: :flwr:

LindanQuincy ~

Don't be worried!! Your guy may just end up being a "little peanut" forever!! :) You have to remember breed standard is between 12-18lbs so your boy just seems to be at the bottom half of the scale. :) Kos is now 14lbs and he just has a small bone stature. ;) Don't fret! :)

Thanks Sara! Can't wait to see pictures of your new addition. I imagine six days must seem like forever...........

I haven't changed it yet ~ it's actually 5!!

I am going nuts - my tummy is in all sorts of knots ~ I AM SUCH A BABY! LOL

I can't wait though :)

mic n me are gonna go shoppin' when I get there too.. :w**h**: :w**h**:

Thank you for the tips! I do think that I should just pick her bowl up and give it only certain times of the day! I'll give that a try! ;)

Dotties mum -they all grow at different rates - Merlin was a slow grower whilst Oakley seems to have matured really fast - he is 16 pounds at 6 months - sounds a lot but I think he is big boned - he is not fat ut he has feathers and slippers already whereas the same age Merlin had nowwhere near the same. - and they come from the same mum and more or less the same dad give or take a few generations ;)

My Arthur is only 10.5lbs at 8 months....I think he is just going to be a little on the small side. As long as he is healthy this is fine by me...Duncan is 18 lbs (should be 16-17) so I imagine I will have one on each end of the scale.

Oh my gosh you have such small little babies!!! Ellie just had her third round of vaccs, 13 weeks today, and is 8 pounds! :yikes The vet said their rule of thumb is to triple what the puppy's weight is at 12 weeks, but I'm sure every breed/puppy grows a little differently. Ellie has gained about two pounds in four weeks.

I have a small one too. She weighed 5.5 lbs at 18 weeks. My other puppy weighed 7 lbs at 17 weeks. The vet said they were both very healthy, just that Carley was going to be on the small end of the breed standard - which is the same thing the breeder told us - around 12 -13 lbs when full grown.
I can vouch for the 15 minute rule - it really worked for us and meal time is SOOOO much easier - not that it was a problem for the girls - it was just a constant worry for me!

I was just out walking Ellie in downtown Chicago, and a lady ran up and was so excited because she has a Cavalier and she scooped Ellie up in her arms. I am not really that overprotective, but I thought that was a little forward, and Ellie was so excited that she was all over the place and accidentally scratched the lady on the face. :oops: So then of course the lady put Ellie down and kept touching her eye. I felt badly... anyway point being she mentioned that her puppy was 3 pounds when she got her at 11 weeks!!!! Holy COW that is smalL!

Beware-- some stranger scooped up my 5 month old pup-- I said hey!! he will jump (he looked freaked out that a stranger scooped him) and she dropped him on his head on concrete. I was furious!

:yikes :yikes :yikes

Kosmo also got dropped on his head on the concrete by one of my friends. Another dog was walking by and of course Kosmo though the dog was coming to see him.. :roll: Good thing he was OK..

Scary isnt it Sandy?!

I don't know if it would be better or worse if I knew the person who did the dropping. I would never just pick up a strangers pup. And when I am encouraged to pick up a friends pup-- I am VERY careful. Accidents happen so easily.
The rest of the day I held the pup trying to make sure he was fine.. I don't think I breathed a sigh of relief for days.

Wow!!! Isn't it funny how some people just have no sense of personal space? Would they do that to a child? A simple "Would you mind if I pet your dog?" does wonders... :roll: If she would have dropped Ellie I would have been SO mad! Was the puppy okay, Sandy?

kimberlya said:
Wow!!! Isn't it funny how some people just have no sense of personal space? Would they do that to a child? A simple "Would you mind if I pet your dog?" does wonders... :roll: If she would have dropped Ellie I would have been SO mad! Was the puppy okay, Sandy?

The only reason I didn't tear her a new one was that she did try to slow his desent onto the floor. She also apologized profusely. This is the lil guy 6 months later. Yes, he was fine-- it could have been bad
344784258_9bfaf9a3d3.jpg

Back