• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sofa perching...

Lisa_T

Amber has discovered the joys of perching on the top of the sofa back in order to watch the world go by. Trouble is, there's a good half metre between the sofa and the wall. The sofa has a metal frame with a mattress thing on it that is sunken by about an inch to begin with, and obviously sinks more with weight. If she can get up and down herself, will she be ok? Should I discourage her from doing this? Or should I rearrange the room to make it safer? Trouble is, the back of the sofa is used as a bookcase of sorts for all the collectable books I can't fit on the bookcase!

That must be a cavalier thing because I have never else seen a dog that does this. Needless to say, that I bought this couch 4 months ago and the cushions have collapsed in on themselves. Who needs a dog bed when you have luxury furniture? :roll:

pups004.jpg

mommyandtheboys013.jpg

As for preventing her from doing it, good luck. The couch is like their perfect little perch that they have worked very hard at conforming it to their shape. :lol: If there is a way to prevent her from falling by moving things around, I would try that. Unless you wanted to do no couch bootcamp!! :D

I would be worried about her falling if there is a long way down. Izzy does the same thing on my couch, but it is up against the wall. I would be afraid that Amber would fall asleep up there and roll off onto the floor :( It is definitely your personal call, I hope you can work something out to keep you both happy :D :flwr:

Ella loves that back of the couch and hasn't fallen yet (much to my surprise). I watched her like a hawk at first b/c I was so affraid she would fall - she did jump once when she got really excited but she landed just fine. I like the term you've coined - "couch perching" - I think I'll use that! ;)

moniechris,

Those photos are priceless... :lol: :lol:

Your Wesley looks just like our Charley, comfy as can be!!

Amazing that they don't crash to the floor while sleeping!

We have a "doggie" chair that was brand new when Charley decided it was his....I almost threw it out the week before we got the call about Mary Alice.

It has a nice "wow" in it, fits perfectly! :D :flwr:

Hi Guys -- look at my avatar! Daisy gets up on the back of the sofa sometimes. And you can see it is not the "cushy" type of sofa back at all. It's pretty narrow and not that padded. But it's up against the wall so she can kind of lean. We call her our little mountain goat because she insists on being in the highest perch possible.

She'll also sometimes lay on the back of our leather chair. It's soft and smushy and perfect for making a little nest in.

My little yorkie used to get up and perch up on the back of the sofa.
Maddy has not yet been adventurous enough.

For the moment I'll let it go and compromise by barring access to the living room when I'm not actually in there with them. That will cut down opportunity considerably since she seems to have no interest in the evening when the curtains are drawn. She's lying on her vetbed on the floor at the moment, happily chewing her Petstages teether.

Lisa,

Did you forget? The sofa is for the furbabies, who wants to lie on vetbed when you can keep an eye on the goings on from the comfortable perch of the sofa - after all if cats can do it why not cavs?

(I'm sure thats what my boys think anyway!)

LOLOL! Well it's certainly where they are at the moment. Sensibly on the sit bit though. Holly is trying to sleep and Amber is moaning at her to play! :lol:

Bodie also loves to sit on top of...everything! We find her on top of our chair and sofa cushions, pillows, blankets, and piles of clothes fresh out of the dryer. She likes to reign from high over her kingdom at home. :dogwlk:

369490527_69b7630bfe_m.jpg

369490525_9de8675b8d_m.jpg

Pauline: Would you believe that I got that as a floor sample for $100??!! It was such a steal! It is the most comfortable chair ever, so I don't think I will be parting with it, but thanks for the compliment!! :D :D :D

I've never in my life seen a dog perch on the back of a sofa/couch, until I got a Cavalier, and then I saw everyone's pictures and read the posts on here, and I had to laugh out loud! Isn't that funny?! It has to be a Cavalier thing for sure!

If it isn't too far down from your sofa, and there isn't anything she can fall onto or hit if she were to fall....I think she'll be OK, unless your sofa is real tall? Can you put somenthing down behind it to soften the fall perhaps, if she were to fall?

Back