Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yelping at hind quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yelping at hind quarters.

Well Miss Tilly is giving us some worries. She is almost 14 weeks and we have noticed a very troublesome behaviour she does. She screams in pain for a second or two and acts like something is wrong with her back legs or tail. She gropes at them when she makes this noise. We were hoping it a was a fluke (we first noticed this happening about a week to a week and a half ago) but she does it probably once or twice a day that we see. I have felt her all over and put pressure every where and she does not react like that hurts her. It seems to be a shooting pain. I am completely clueless to what this could be.

Josh has an appointment to take her in on Saturday for our vet to check her out. Anyone with experience with this? I would like a little knowledge before he takes her in.
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

sorry can't be of any help hope the others have more advice
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help either but I hope it goes away soon!

Poor baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're getting her in to the vet! It could be any number of things, and the vet will know what it looks like. I've seen similar signs with dogs who need their anal glands expressed, so hopefully it's just a quick fix.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea! hope it's nothing bad!! Keep us posted!!
    kisses Ester & a licky from Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My Wesley
    Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.
    Lily did that last week too and was scooting a lot. Took her to the Vet Tuesday and her glands needed expressing again. This is the second time since we got her in October. Seems like a lot to me , but the Vet said some dogs just have the problem. Lily's poops are always really firm and I thought that's what keeps them clear. What do you give Wesley for fiber? I need to do this too.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

My vet suggested Wheaties I think. We didn't try that yet.

I just read somewhere else that you should use plain shredded wheat cereal.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anal glands are one thing to have checked. Also be sure you have printed out the information on SM for your vet. At this ge, it is far more likely to be something else but your vet needs to know about this condition in cavaliers and if the behaviour continues s/he should start eliminating other possibilities but also consider SM. This is just being cautious but vets are very unfamiliar with this condition and need the information you can print out from this page:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/symptoms.html

Yelping for no reason and snapping at hindquarrters is a possible symptom but *eliminate all other options first* from anal glands to back problems to pests like fleas or rabbit mites.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com