• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yelping at hind quarters.

Lindsay

:( :( :( Well Miss Tilly is giving us some worries. She is almost 14 weeks and we have noticed a very troublesome behaviour she does. She screams in pain for a second or two and acts like something is wrong with her back legs or tail. She gropes at them when she makes this noise. We were hoping it a was a fluke (we first noticed this happening about a week to a week and a half ago) but she does it probably once or twice a day that we see. I have felt her all over and put pressure every where and she does not react like that hurts her. It seems to be a shooting pain. I am completely clueless to what this could be.

Josh has an appointment to take her in on Saturday for our vet to check her out. Anyone with experience with this? I would like a little knowledge before he takes her in. :(

I'm glad you're getting her in to the vet! It could be any number of things, and the vet will know what it looks like. I've seen similar signs with dogs who need their anal glands expressed, so hopefully it's just a quick fix. :xfngr:

Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.

My Wesley said:
Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.

Lily did that last week too and was scooting a lot. Took her to the Vet Tuesday and her glands needed expressing again. This is the second time since we got her in October. Seems like a lot to me , but the Vet said some dogs just have the problem. Lily's poops are always really firm and I thought that's what keeps them clear. What do you give Wesley for fiber? I need to do this too.

Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.

My vet suggested Wheaties I think. We didn't try that yet.

I just read somewhere else that you should use plain shredded wheat cereal.

Anal glands are one thing to have checked. Also be sure you have printed out the information on SM for your vet. At this ge, it is far more likely to be something else but your vet needs to know about this condition in cavaliers and if the behaviour continues s/he should start eliminating other possibilities but also consider SM. This is just being cautious but vets are very unfamiliar with this condition and need the information you can print out from this page:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/symptoms.html

Yelping for no reason and snapping at hindquarrters is a possible symptom but *eliminate all other options first* from anal glands to back problems to pests like fleas or rabbit mites.

Here's hoping its the anal glands. What a nightmare to have a 14 week old with SM (that I gave as a gift, no less). :( :( :(

Moviedust said:
Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.

Thanks Cindy and Wesley!

Cindy....Does the pumpkin make their poop firmer?

Another option for feeding fibre is a spoonful of bran, sprinkled on food. It needs to be rough bran, used for horses or from a health store, rather than the processed cereal type. This also has the advantage of helping with weight control, as it makes the dog feel full, so he/she doesn't want so much food.

My guys get a spoonful of pumpkin with dinner and...knock on wood...we haven't had any anal gland or poop problems in at least a year.

Ok, so where in the world do I buy pumpkin? Is it canned in a food aisle or something? I think I'd rather try that.

Oh yeah. Canned pumpkin is generally in the baking isle in our store, near the pie fillings. Just be sure to get the pure pumpkin without the added spices.

Ollie is doing the same thing right now! I'm taking to my vet about it tomorrow and I too, am hoping its the glands! :xfngr:

Lindsay,
I have seen India do that when she was younger. Things she has yelped and looked toward her hindquarters about are: anal glands, bladder infection, knee injury

I hope it is something easily fixed for you and Josh! :flwr:

Sorry to hear about Tilly! Indy went through something that sounds like this and I know it's frightening.

Indy never screamed or yelped loudly, but when he was a younger pup (can't remember when but it seems like it was close to Tilly's age) he would often quickly sort of snap back at his hips and give little short yelps. He did it when he was walking, but I noticed it most often when he stood on his back legs. For example if he was on the floor with his front legs on the bed, he might suddenly whip around and do the little yelp and snap at the hips.

We mentioned this on a couple of visits to the vet. They examined him and found nothing wrong and did not seem too concerned by it. Our vets love Indy to bits and have been very good so I trusted them. He's a year old this week and I only see him do it on rare occasions.

I haven't read others responses yet so I'm hoping they don't have terrible news to the contrary, but in our experience things were ok..... please do get tilly checked out though to be on the safe side.

Back