• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yelping at hind quarters.

Aha! yes, actually he has had to get his anal glands expressed and it was around that time as well (sorry for the vagueness, hubby usually has vet duty as he works nights and has some days free).

we put him onto a good dry food from the vets and he has firm poohs and no further issues so sounds like anal glands are a popular reason for this.

good luck and we're hoping for the best!

k

All is well. :) The vet checked her glands and they were fine. She had a few flea bites and she was put on some anitbiotics to help the little sores on her skin. Josh said that she got her next round of shots today and she cried like a little baby until they gave her back to him. Men and their little girls :roll: Thank you all for all your comments :)

glad to hear that everything is okay!!! :D

poor little thing----they break your heart with their crying when they get injections. she'll be feeling better before you know it!

k

The vet nurse in me said fleas first of all - not glad to know that you have a flea but glad to know my mind was sharp for a change! I can remember Wallis doing that - screaming bloody murder because of a flea bite. Fortunately she doesn't have the allergy problems with the fleas that Tibby does. Fleas like lighter colored dogs best, so she usually gets more on her, Sasha next and Tibby last.

We have an appt on Wednesday to have the growth in Wallis's anal gland checked - this is with a different vet. I wish I'd known of the pumpkin years ago because she has always had issues back there. I just got a "recipe" for treats that are dehydrated sweet potato that I may try. Better than rawhide!!

In case the vet didn't tell Josh, a flea spends 98% of its time in the environment and not on the dog. So you may need to consider treating other dogs and the house. It's cold there so they've all found rides into the warm house!

I have had a dog in my house 75% of my life I would say, and I have NEVER had to treat for fleas after November. This has been the weirdest winter. I am enjoying the mild weather, but it is costing me in flea meds! :lol: :roll: Oh well! Is it summer yet? ;)

Lindsay....I am so glad it was nothing serious. I certainly know how we can stress over these little babies.

I know. Its been a big relief. She hasn't made a peep in 2 days now, so hopefully we have it under control. It gets scary when they are babies, and its not much better when they are full grown! :lol: :sl*p:

Do you have a flea comb? That's a nice, inexpensive investment. Then you can just comb through the hair (especially on the rear and arm pits) and catch the fleas in the comb. It's best to have a bowl of water with some dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) to clean the comb off in to. The soap holds the fleas down and drowns the little suckers! And you aren't putting chemicals on your dog if that's something that bothers you.

Someone on this board, can't remember who, said the more you have the anal glands expressed, the more often the dog needs it done. I've had it done only once on Zack, he was about 9 months old. Up to that point, he had occasional scooting. After he had the anal glands expressed, he had way more scooting than before, and it went on for maybe three or four weeks, then it returned to normal, just occasional scooting. My other dogs (non cavaliers) also scooted now and then and i never heard of anal gland expression back in those days. I'm sure it needs to be done in many dogs, but i don't think it needed to be done in Zack, the vet said following the procedure that there wasn't a lot in there. I was sorry i did it, it was the vet's idea, not mine. She asked if he was scooting and i hesitantly said yes, not sure that it was a problem. I always regretted that i didn't say no that time. i do often say no to things vets want to do.

when zack was about 4 months old, he was in the backyard and he suddenly sat down and started scratching his neck and shrieking continuously in pain. He continued to shriek and got up and ran inside, and then sat down and scratched some more, still shrieking, really loud, it was the most awful thing. It's never happened again, thank goodness, but i really feel for anyone who hears and sees their dog do this.

Back