Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yelping at hind quarters.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping its the anal glands. What a nightmare to have a 14 week old with SM (that I gave as a gift, no less).
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moviedust
    Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.
    Thanks Cindy and Wesley!

Cindy....Does the pumpkin make their poop firmer?
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Another option for feeding fibre is a spoonful of bran, sprinkled on food. It needs to be rough bran, used for horses or from a health store, rather than the processed cereal type. This also has the advantage of helping with weight control, as it makes the dog feel full, so he/she doesn't want so much food.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that!

I hope little Tilly feel well soon!!

Hugs to all you!
    Laura Lia Maia

Post Thanks / Like

My guys get a spoonful of pumpkin with dinner and...knock on wood...we haven't had any anal gland or poop problems in at least a year.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so where in the world do I buy pumpkin? Is it canned in a food aisle or something? I think I'd rather try that.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah. Canned pumpkin is generally in the baking isle in our store, near the pie fillings. Just be sure to get the pure pumpkin without the added spices.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Ollie is doing the same thing right now! I'm taking to my vet about it tomorrow and I too, am hoping its the glands!
    Emily and Ollie (29/10/06)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lindsay,
    I have seen India do that when she was younger. Things she has yelped and looked toward her hindquarters about are: anal glands, bladder infection, knee injury

I hope it is something easily fixed for you and Josh!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Tilly! Indy went through something that sounds like this and I know it's frightening.

Indy never screamed or yelped loudly, but when he was a younger pup (can't remember when but it seems like it was close to Tilly's age) he would often quickly sort of snap back at his hips and give little short yelps. He did it when he was walking, but I noticed it most often when he stood on his back legs. For example if he was on the floor with his front legs on the bed, he might suddenly whip around and do the little yelp and snap at the hips.

We mentioned this on a couple of visits to the vet. They examined him and found nothing wrong and did not seem too concerned by it. Our vets love Indy to bits and have been very good so I trusted them. He's a year old this week and I only see him do it on rare occasions.

I haven't read others responses yet so I'm hoping they don't have terrible news to the contrary, but in our experience things were ok..... please do get tilly checked out though to be on the safe side.
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)