• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really Fed up

Hollyett

Feel really fed up. in a few months we have decided to add to our family with a cavalier dog, Holly will then be around 16 to 18 months old. I have begun to try and look for a good breeder. Ive just spoken to someone who represents a reputable cavailer assocication, this person is supposed to help you with good breeders. She said a dog would be no good with Holly being a bitch, I explained Holly had been spayed, She made me feel like I had committed some crime and said she had a thing about poor cavailers being spayed, then said she couldnt help me ( more like she didnt want to). Quite worried now about who to talk to next. Feeling sensitive and down, like Ive done something horrible to Holly, who I really love. Im just trying to do the right thing and find a good breeder. Thanks for listening, had to share with others. :(

That's a terrible way to treat you!

Most people have their pets spayed or neutered...I wouldn't worry about that one individual, most would appreciate that you care so much! :) :flwr:

that's mad u did what u felt was wrong and i am defo getting freddie done so don't mind her!!

I don't even know where to begin with that woman. First of all, spaying is very important for the health and safety of your girl if you have no intention to breed. Second, if this woman really is "representing" good breeders, she would hope that only HEALTHIEST dogs are bred, not just because they carry the title of "cavalier". Third, She has no right to make you feel guilty for making a conscious decision to the best you can for your dog. FOURTH she obviously doesn't know anything about cavaliers because they are amazing companions together and they know their own. I have 2 males and I am adding a female and I can guarantee that they will do fine together. I would find a new contact and don't get discouraged because of one incompetant person.

Thanks for the support, she just made me feel bad. I live in England , the strange thing is on their webb site they advice us all to stamp out puppy farms and buy from good breeders, yet this one person is who you contact to get advice on who to go to. I will keep trying, thanks

Yes you do get breeders who can make you feel like something that the cat brought in sorry cat When I was looking after Mattie died I rang one up that did that to me were I got Rocky from she was good and listen to what had happen without judging me were abouts are you in the uk---Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

I too had exactly the same happen to me in the UK, i phoned a lady just like you ,a lady to do with the breed club who was supposed to point me in the right direction regarding getting a well breed cavalier in my area. She was of no help at all and made me feel i was doing somthing wrong. I wonder if it was the same person?? Where in the UK are you? because maybe i could help PM me if you would like.Heather x

i spoke to a rude woman after contacting a breed club i will pm you both i wonder if we connacted the same area and don't let that woman put you off you did the best thing i plan on getting lady spayed as soon as she has had first season. Another puppy would be wonderful and i am sure that Holly would love the companionship. Don't worry the perfect breeders waiting out there for you.

Hollyett said:
Thanks for the support, she just made me feel bad. I live in England , the strange thing is on their webb site they advice us all to stamp out puppy farms and buy from good breeders, yet this one person is who you contact to get advice on who to go to. I will keep trying, thanks

I would think others from England on this board or at Cavalier Connection could help you find a breeder. That is the silliest thing I have every heard! Regardless of what country your from, all countries acknowledge getting a dog spayed (unless they are breeding) is good for their health and obviously prevents unwanted litters of puppies on the moral side.

My suggestion is to contact someone else at the club, because they should be informed about her attitude and incorrect knowledge! I'm sure other members would not hold her view and should be informed how she is not a good representive for them to use.

I spoke to a very high up person in the cav circles here in Ireland when looking for a companion for Gus and she made me feel the same way about getting Gus neutered.

Although it did upset me at the time I took no notice . I have since had both Gus and Pippin neutered.

I don't understand this attitude coming from respectable breeders!

I wouldn't give up because of a frustrated -you know what-
Just think she has her problems too and maybe she had to make somebody to feel bad so she could feel better herself. a lot of people do that!
I feel sorry for her.
You do what you think is best and get another opinion!
(y) Hope you feel a bit better now.

That is ridiculous!!! Maybe some breeders are so sure of their pups that they want them continually bred to continue their line? I have no idea about the whole breeding thing, so I may be totally OFF here! icon_whistling

I live in the US and all the breeders I have spoken to require that the new puppy be spayed or neutered as part of the contract. It is hard for me to imagine why the woman you talked to would be so crazy to think that all dogs should be bred. I think it is awful that she is making other people feel bad for chosing to have their dogs altered.

Funnily enough when I was looking for Jeremy I spoke to a person like that. I told her point blank that male or female I would desex because apart from health issues, I didnt want to breed cavaliers and I didnt want the hassles that go along with an entire male. Been there done that. Its a nightmare trying to keep entire males seperated from bitches in season. If you didnt know I want to breed my goldy girls and dont want any mishaps. So now that he is neautered I have no worries at all. I think you have to be especially dedicated if you are to breed cavies with all the problems that the breed has and its so heartbreaking when you lose puppies. I used to breed Griffons and they were really hard. Faith had 2 litters of 9 :yikes we lost 2 the first time and 4 the second, and one of those I kept going for 5 days. I was feeding him every 2 hours and on the 4th day I took them to the vets for a checkup and he hadnt eaten 2 of his feed that day. I knew he was dying and begged the vet to put him to sleep and the vet said no that he would be fine. :( I couldnt get him to eat at all the next day and he died belly up nice and warm under the heat lamp. I was shattered. Anyway one of my other Griffons had 5 and we lost 3, and then she went on to have 6 all healthy, and my little Molly had 4 and Because I got her on breeders terms she and the pups went to the breeder. :( She had a cesar and although the pups were healthy, we nearly lost her to milk fever and pymetra. So she came back to me desexed and because of that I couldnt show her anymore :x . She loved showing and was a little winner too. But at least she was alive and well. So thats my saga with breeding a toy dog breed. You have to be extremely dedicated to it. I commend all the responsible breeders out there Because I know what its like first hand. icon_whistling Sorry I have got carried away and probably way off the track. But I told this lady the same thing and she was really nice after that and saw my reasoning of why I wanted my cavy desexed. :flwr:

What a rude old bag - I think that it is a responsbile owner who gets their owner neutered if they are not going to breed them - its healthier for the dogs and also cuts down the amount of strays and unwanted puppies.

I have a breeder in Kent (from the Kennel Club website) if you want the details you can pm.

Some people are really against neutering-- they look at it as mutilation. The US seems to have extreme attitudes about most things. An all out - jump on the bandwagon- if you don't do it (like I do) you are wrong attitude.
I am running late-- but alcohol and pet neutering pop into mind. We have high incidences of alcoholism and pet overpopulation that haven't been fixed by these rules/mindsets. jmo

I don't understand anyone who can speak to you like that about getting your baby 'fixed' :x

Sandy, I love your new avatar, it's wonderful and just about sums up the gentleness of our beloved breed :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
I don't understand anyone who can speak to you like that about getting your baby 'fixed' :x

Sandy, I love your new avatar, it's wonderful and just about sums up the gentleness of our beloved breed :flwr:

Thanks -- it was a special moment-- I got lucky and caught it on camera. It was made more special by knowing that pup almost didn't make it. She was small 4 ounces and bluish at birth. sandy

Back