• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Houdini

Cathy T

I got a call from Jitterbug's adoptive mom this morning about him escaping. Little stinker has somehow figured out how to get out of his crate :roll: I have no idea how he is doing it and neither does she. She is sure she has latched it closed but when she comes home the crate door is open and he is out.

Anyone had this happen before? Any suggestions to prevent it?

Amber has gotten out of her Vari-whatsit crate several times, despite me checking and double checking that the latched are properly placed. She also got out of her metre high x-pen before she was even five months old. Some Cavs must simply be escape artists!! Incidentally, if I leave the flap door of the big crate down without latching it, Amber has worked out how to push it forward and creep out. Obviously she's then locked out :lol: . I think Holly quite likes this..

Another rescue Houdini?? :lol: :lol:

Please let me know if there's an answer?! :flwr: :flwr:

Molly has gotten out of her crate once.

Basically she just kept "bouncing" off the door and somehow she got the door open. I was taking things in from the car and she was not happy about being in her crate.

She has calmed down a lot since then and has not done it again. Although she did manage to squeeze out once when I only latched the top lock (my own fault!)

Tucker is rather houdini-ish too. I gave up on the crate after a couple of months for that reason.

We have had trouble with the spring loaded latches, the type that you squeeze two things toward each other. Thr problem is that it looks like it's latched, but isn't. Or the top latches but not the bottom. You have to be sure that both the rods go completely into the top and bottom hole.

We now use the type crate that has the round hand-hold mechanism that you turn to put the top and bottom rods into the holes. It seems to be a little more positive and it won't turn all the way unless both rods are completely engaged.

Our Fauna can escape ANY crate regardless of the type of closure. We have finally resorted to putting an additional clip on the gate door. We use the end clip off an old leash to hold the "bars" together and it works like a charm. Voila! no escapes.

No suggestions for the couch - cross your fingers!
JaneB

Thanks for all of the input! I've sent her the various suggestions. And we'll see what happens from here.

Cherrise escapes from her x-pen all the time ! she's like a little spiderman erm spiderwoman, she climbs the x-pen and jumps out ! :sl*p: so we got her a top for her x-pen and double lock for the door.. now, she's stuck. icon_devil it's for her own good.. :lol: one time caught her chewing my eraser when i got home :yikes gd luck with the lil boy ! 8)

I have two crates, in use; a normal bolted one and one with an up and over door. From a puppy, Teddy has been able to get in and out of the dropped, but not pushed into slot, door (I have some action photos somewhere, showing his progress into the crate to steal Izzy's dinner). He has since got out now and then and I've assumed it's because I didn't press the door down properly--until this Tuesday.

As the bolted crate was in the hall and I'd treated the carpet, I put Joly and Teddy into the up and over crate and got Izzy and Monty ready for a walk. No sooner had I reached the door, but Teddy was with us, tugging on someone's lead. Joly was still sitting in the crate, with the door dropped down, but not in its slot.

Knowing that I had closed the crate firmly and being unable to use the other crate, Teddy was put back, the door closed firmly and a heavy computer monitor placed in front of the door , to prevent it from rising----and we went for our walk.

When we got back, there was Teddy waiting by the door and Joly was still in the crate. He'd not only opened the door, but moved the monitor over 30cm away. Now I know the grey crate is not Teddy proof, so it's crate with bolts---until he susses those out , too..

Back