• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My little Coco has surgery tomorrow- I'm so scared!

Sara just beat me to it.....unless it's too far or awkward, I'd be bringing her home for the night.

Many vets just set up a slow drip IV and go home til 7 am.

Even if you have to give her a bit of water in the night, I'd be looking after her.

If the vet says there were no complications, I'd wonder why she has to stay.

I've never had an animal stay after a spay, ask if he charges for the "care" she won't be getting...it might be a boarding fee.

I say that, not to be mean but my vet charges if people wish to have extra observation of their pet.

Glad she's come through it, it's nerve wracking, isn't it?? :flwr: :flwr:

oh i'm glad to hear that she's made it though ok. such a pretty little girl---it must break your heart to have to leave her. i'm with the others---take her home with you if at all possible. it will make you both feel better and surely it will help her recovery to be in a familiar caring environment!

good luck!

k

My vet let my two home about 6 in the evening when they were done.

I put their basket in the sitting room and slept on the sofa all night to be with them. I did the same years ago when we had a jack russell and he got neutered . I would sooner have her where I could keep an eye on her if I were you.

Glad it all went well. :flwr:

Thanks guys. :flwr: I am so relieved Coco's surgery went well. I was so anxious all day waiting for them to call.

Sara, I really didn't want to leave Coco there either, but I didn't want to compromise her health in any way by taking her home early(of course). After reading your posts, I again mentioned that I'd like to bring her home since there were no complications. The vet and the staff understand my concern about leaving her there with no one to watch her, so they are okay with me picking her up at 6:30pm. :) Thanks for your advice!

Pippa, I was planning to portion off a small area of the family room for her with her little house (crate) and bed. That's a great idea to sleep down there with her. :flwr:

I know she'll be groggy today, but how will she be tomorrow? Will she be able to eat/drink or move around much? I'm worried about her being in pain- it's so heartbreaking to see her like that. :(

I'm glad you got to take Coco home at night. I wonder why they wanted to keep her there if she wouldn't be looked after. What if she needed to wee, she wouldn't be in a clean space then. It's an odd rule. Anyway, how is Coco doing? :flwr:

Glad little Coco is home with her family. She will be much better with you I think. So happy all went well. :flwr:

That's good you are bringing her home, if nobody is there at the vet's, I think she is far better off at home with you. Glad everything went well!
I love your avatar!!

How is Coco doing??? Thinking of you both and sending big :hug: s and healing licks for Coco :lotsaluv:

:flwr: :flwr: :hug: :hug:

I wonder why they wanted to keep her there if she wouldn't be looked after. What if she needed to wee, she wouldn't be in a clean space then. It's an odd rule. Anyway, how is Coco doing?

Pauline, you're right. I hated the thought of Coco crying in the night to get out of the crate to go potty, then end up sitting in a dirty space.

I'm so glad she is home with me. She would have been so stressed alone at the vet's. When I went to get her, she cried out in pain when she tried to move out of the kennel to see me. :cry*ing: She seemed happy to be back at home though.

She couldn't move much without screaming in pain. When I brought her kibble out, her eyes widened like you wouldn't believe. :shock: She was so excited! I slept with her downstairs as pippa suggested, a great idea.

She seemed better this morning. She ate her normal amount of food and even had water (yayy!). The vet said she is doing well. Her pain seems to be a little less. She isn't doing much though, just sitting and lying down. She must be in pain. I feel so bad for her. I hope there's more improvement tomorrow.
Thank you all your support! It's so nice to have people sending good thoughts from all over the place. :flwr:

So glad to hear that Coco is doing so well! It's great that you were able to take her home with you as that just seems to be a better option. I don't understand the benefit (from the vet's point of view) in having the pets stay over night if there's no one there to monitor them....I guess it's the boarding fee they're looking for. :roll: Anyway, so happy that she's home and getting back to her normal self! :flwr:

:updte:

Hi Pauline,
No, they didn't give me any extra pain killers for Coco. They gave her some after the surgery, and that was it. I guess it will just take time for her to heal.

I just thought I'd let you all know how Coco is doing. She wasn't doing anything yesterday but lying down (the day after surgery). She looked really miserable. :| I tried to encourage her to move a little or play, but she wasn't interested.

At 11:30pm, she went out for her last potty and she FINALLY went #2!!! I was getting worried that she was constipated and uncomfortable. She hadn't gone since before the surgery. When she came back in, her tail was wagging and she was moving around much more! Yayy!

Today she is willing to move around a bit more and she showed some interest in her toys. :) I'm happy to see any recovery, even if it's slow.
Thanks again everyone! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Glad to hear that Coco is doing much better today. :)

Part is the surgery but they have to recover from the anaesthetic too.

As you pointed out, once *everything* gets moving, they're much better.

She's such a pretty pup! ;D

Back