• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sick 10 and half year old Blenheim.

Hello everyone,

My oldest cavalier who is 10 and half has been diagnosed with heart problems and is on frutix and Vetmedin, Even though there as been an improvement and weekly check up with my vets for some reason they cannot give me an answer why my girl has had cramp like siezures (only 3 times too many!) But it only lasts for a few seconds or so. Fortunately there is always someone home and we have been around all three times that we know its happened to calm her down (theres a look of despare in her eyes as shes going through it.)

The vet assures us we are not prolonging her life but giving her quality of life by her being on medication and to be honest I believe them or want to but they cannot explain to me what I have just mentioned.

She is in good spirtits and as I have done my research on the medications shes on iim sure its not the medication.

Each time she has had a siesure I actually have given her some bush flower essences and even my hubby has said it seems to work.

Any suggestions or similar situations would be great.

Maria

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but I'd think it unlikely that the drugs are to blame. My Izzy has been on increasing amounts of Vetmedin, Fortekor (another heart med) and Frusicare ( a 'water tablet') for over two years, since he went to grade 6, with no such problems, and your vet would be informed of possible side effects.

I hope your dog is well again, soon and that the seizures were just temporary. My trainer's sheltie had three or four fits (one absolutely horrific), then no more. The cause was never found.

I'm not sure what you mean about "cramp like seisure" but one of our dogs - Cassie had one fit where she just couldn't move and her eyes glazed over. She was in terrible pain but no cause could ever be found.

She never had another fit like that but did get a "shake" which never went away. I thought it seemed a bit like a trapped nerve but my vet (who is very good) could never figure out why she did this. It never appeared to affect her health - she lived for 14 years and was extremely happy up until the very end.

I hope your little one doesn't have any more of those fits :flwr:

Hi thanks for your words of encouragement, Your three look like angels.

Well Tia in the last 3 weeks has only had 3 episodes. Have a few links to check out and hopefully I will understand it a little more. I sort of have blamed the drugs as its only happened since then but I have little experience in natural medicine and when someone mentioned it could be to do with the circulation ha it makes sense also. Has the vet explained her blood flow from her heart isnt that good.

I appreciate her even more now which is funny has shes my number one girl (only girt as the other two are males.) Didnt realise just how much more I love her. And of course my 2 and half year old as claimed her as her own and wont let her out of her site. (Shes been like that with her since she was one.) Which makes it a little harder to watch..

But thankyou again for your relply.

Back