Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you feed your cav on?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what do you feed your cav on?

Just wondering as i want to make sure Lolas getting all she needs.
    Were still going on what the breeder recommended.
    She was on Eukanuba but i weaned her off that and onto Royal Canin after the vet recommended it.

Then i just jazz it up a bit with either,Tuna,Cheese,or some chicken on top.

But i was just wondering what others feed their cavs?

Bless her shes doing fine and growing but it must get boring eating the same old stuff.

sharon xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Lola,

My boys are on Royal Canin too and I too jazz it up with a bit of chicken sardines, tripe, cheese and the soup detailed in Caring for you cavalier. I alternate most days so thats its something different
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

I started Lily on Science Diet, that the Vet and breeder both recommended, but I didn't like it, too many fillers. I changed Lily to puppy RC a couple of weeks after we got her, and she loves it and has done well on it. I am now changing her to adult RC at 5 mos old.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

i feed freddie RC but he was getting a bit bored so now i jazz it up with tuna, banana or chicken and he loves it!! u should see him licking his lips!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

banana - never thought of that - sort of sweet and savoury - I'll try that one out this weekend!
    Kirsty

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    I started Lily on Science Diet, that the Vet and breeder both recommended, but I didn't like it, too many fillers. I changed Lily to puppy RC a couple of weeks after we got her, and she loves it and has done well on it. I am now changing her to adult RC at 5 mos old.
    Shay,

I'm feeding Oakley RC Mini Junior - it says to feed it up to 10 months? I was thinking maybe I'd change over around 7-8 months to Mini Adult - have you beed advised to change Lily sooner ( I'm just wondering if i should change sooner too?)
    Kirsty

Post Thanks / Like

Banana wow i never thought of that one either.
    Also i like the sound of sardines too i might give them a go too.

Oh by the sounds of it royal canin gets the then.

golly good can anyone think of any other toppings?

sharon x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmum
    Shay,

I'm feeding Oakley RC Mini Junior - it says to feed it up to 10 months? I was thinking maybe I'd change over around 7-8 months to Mini Adult - have you beed advised to change Lily sooner ( I'm just wondering if i should change sooner too?)
    After reading some of Karlin's posts and some others, they say you really don't need to feed puppy food, because sometimes they grow too fast. I thought this was the case with Lily. So at 5 mos (last week) I decided to switch to adult, but there were so many choices, I didn't know which to buy, I think Karlin and Cathy said RC adult 22 I think. I have to go back and look at the thread before I go to the store this weekend. Post is titled "Question about Food" posted by me last Sun or Mon I believe, if you want to read it.

I have a question too, when you give special stuff in their food, does it change the consistency of their poop. Lily's poop is very firm and she is only going 2 to 3X per day. I wonder if adding stuff changes this. I want to start adding stuff. Do they not want to eat just plain kibble anymore after you add stuff?
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shay,Lola wont touch it if its just plain. She gives me a right dirty look as of to say "is that it".

Because shes always had toppings i cant answer the poop question.
    But lolas is fine and firm too.
    Touch wood shes never had runny poop.

I would think there may be a slight change but nothing drastic unless it doesnt sgree with her.

Just try a tiny sprinkle of topping and increase it.

sharon x

Post Thanks / Like

I feed royal canin mini light. I don't add anything to it because mine seem to get very soft poop when they eat anything out of the ordinary especially pippin! I give them bonio mint biscuits ,half each, as a mid-day treat now and again. They get 3/4 of a cup of food in the evening and 1/2 a cup in the morning. They don't seem to be bored with it and get excited every mealtime.

Then again they'd eat anything!