• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what do you feed your cav on?

lolas mum

Just wondering as i want to make sure Lolas getting all she needs.
Were still going on what the breeder recommended.
She was on Eukanuba but i weaned her off that and onto Royal Canin after the vet recommended it.

Then i just jazz it up a bit with either,Tuna,Cheese,or some chicken on top.

But i was just wondering what others feed their cavs?

Bless her shes doing fine and growing but it must get boring eating the same old stuff.

sharon xxx

Hi Lola,

My boys are on Royal Canin too and I too jazz it up with a bit of chicken sardines, tripe, cheese and the soup detailed in Caring for you cavalier. I alternate most days so thats its something different :D

I started Lily on Science Diet, that the Vet and breeder both recommended, but I didn't like it, too many fillers. I changed Lily to puppy RC a couple of weeks after we got her, and she loves it and has done well on it. I am now changing her to adult RC at 5 mos old.

i feed freddie RC but he was getting a bit bored so now i jazz it up with tuna, banana or chicken and he loves it!! u should see him licking his lips! :lol:

Shay said:
I started Lily on Science Diet, that the Vet and breeder both recommended, but I didn't like it, too many fillers. I changed Lily to puppy RC a couple of weeks after we got her, and she loves it and has done well on it. I am now changing her to adult RC at 5 mos old.

Shay,

I'm feeding Oakley RC Mini Junior - it says to feed it up to 10 months? I was thinking maybe I'd change over around 7-8 months to Mini Adult - have you beed advised to change Lily sooner ( I'm just wondering if i should change sooner too?)

Banana wow i never thought of that one either.
Also i like the sound of sardines too i might give them a go too.

Oh by the sounds of it royal canin gets the (y) then.

golly good ;) can anyone think of any other toppings?

sharon x

merlinsmum said:
Shay,

I'm feeding Oakley RC Mini Junior - it says to feed it up to 10 months? I was thinking maybe I'd change over around 7-8 months to Mini Adult - have you beed advised to change Lily sooner ( I'm just wondering if i should change sooner too?)

After reading some of Karlin's posts and some others, they say you really don't need to feed puppy food, because sometimes they grow too fast. I thought this was the case with Lily. So at 5 mos (last week) I decided to switch to adult, but there were so many choices, I didn't know which to buy, I think Karlin and Cathy said RC adult 22 I think. I have to go back and look at the thread before I go to the store this weekend. Post is titled "Question about Food" posted by me last Sun or Mon I believe, if you want to read it.

I have a question too, when you give special stuff in their food, does it change the consistency of their poop. Lily's poop is very firm and she is only going 2 to 3X per day. I wonder if adding stuff changes this. I want to start adding stuff. Do they not want to eat just plain kibble anymore after you add stuff?

Hi Shay,Lola wont touch it if its just plain. She gives me a right dirty look as of to say "is that it".

Because shes always had toppings i cant answer the poop question.
But lolas is fine and firm too.
Touch wood shes never had runny poop.

I would think there may be a slight change but nothing drastic unless it doesnt sgree with her.

Just try a tiny sprinkle of topping and increase it.

sharon x

I feed royal canin mini light. I don't add anything to it because mine seem to get very soft poop when they eat anything out of the ordinary especially pippin! I give them bonio mint biscuits ,half each, as a mid-day treat now and again. They get 3/4 of a cup of food in the evening and 1/2 a cup in the morning. They don't seem to be bored with it and get excited every mealtime.

Then again they'd eat anything!

careful how many bananas you feed your babies - they are high in calories and sugar ! :)

Kosmo gets 1/2 cup of Evo per day but it's been binding him up so I've been putting about a tablespoon of merrick's cowboy cookout canned food with it. ;) He gets what we eat for dinner sometimes on top of his food - for example he got some "taco salad" the other day (lettuce, beef, and a tiny bit of reduced cheese) and he loved it, lol :p

I have Mia on Natures Variety Venison Raw Medallions and I put frozen cut green beans and sometimes frozen carrots on top. She gets more excited over the green beans than the food--and she loves the food. I also put a squirt of Grizzly Salmon Oil and her coat has gotten so pretty.

i feed Cara James Welbeloved she loves it i don;t really give anything else :flwr:

Shay said:
I have a question too, when you give special stuff in their food, does it change the consistency of their poop. Lily's poop is very firm and she is only going 2 to 3X per day. I wonder if adding stuff changes this. I want to start adding stuff. Do they not want to eat just plain kibble anymore after you add stuff?

Mine just have a small amount just a desert spoon really - so its not enough to affect their poops :D

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Sharon.....I didn't mean to steal your thread....Please forgive :flwr:

At the moment Ollie is on Purina :)yuk:) But when the packet gets low I'll start the switch to Nutrience or RC! :) I'm a big extra feeder. Everyday Ollie gets some plain natural yogurt, blended vegetables, fruits as treats and every second day he gets a chicken neck. I'm also going to start introducing salmon and beef or chicken mince too. Oh and he is also eating the occasional egg once a week or so :p

Hi Lola

I feed Indy something that we by at the Vets. I think it is called Pet Complete, but it's not available in shops and I believe the Vet group might have it produced just for them.

It looks a bit like Mueslix and has lots of protein and fibre. Indy has a very sensitive tummy and we have had the best results from this food. Our vet gives it to her dogs.

Where are you from? If you are interested and near Dublin I can give you the vet's details???

K

Hi thanks for all the replies.
Shay not a problem,you didnt jump in,glad you got the advice you wanted too.
Seems that i am doing the right thing feeding lola royal canin and toppings.

Thanks again to everyone.

sharon & lola xxx

Sharon, When I purchased my Newfoundland 10 years ago, the breeder gave me a packet of informtion. When I read the info on what to feed your puppy/dog, I saw some interesting info. It said feed you puppy/dog Science Diet at your own risk. The breeder must have had bad luck with that brand for some reason or the other. Anyway, Breeze has been eating ProPlan for 10 years Chicken and Rice. She loves it. I do however, add a very small amount of canned food, about a tablespoon to two cups of dry. Scout get ProPlan puppy and I'm in the process of weaning her over to the adult food. I think that people believe dogs get bored of their food. If you could see my two at breakfast and dinner time, you would see that boredom is not a factor at all. Scout and Breeze are quiet happy to eat dry food. All I have to say in my house is,"who wants to eat?" , and the two dogs and the two cats both come running.

i have to admit that if i start fiddling with jadans food that he ends up looking at me and turning his nose up if i try and then give it to him dry. he is on james welbeloved lamb and vegetable!! (found it on their website and got the pet store to order it in for me!)it sounded so much better than just lamb and rice! silly me though :roll: started to add bits and bobs to his food (no real sign of different poop unless too much added or something that he was intolerant to, like bananas!) but then he just started getting really fussy and would pick out the bits he liked and leave the rest, (hence my reference to the treat ball in another chat) we had this when we first got him, so have had to go back to plain jwb. i to think they get bored of the same old thing but should really have learnt my lesson by now icon_whistling ;)

Back