Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOMED: Gorgeous 1 yr old Tricolor, Pearce

Post Thanks / Like

Default HOMED: Gorgeous 1 yr old Tricolor, Pearce

I found this on Petfinder.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7747598

Notes: Pearce was turned in by a local breeder because he is too big for the breed standards. He is just over 1 yr old and weighs about 25 pounds. He is current on dhlpp and rabies vaccinations until April of this yr.

This shelter puts certain dogs to sleep if their capacity is too full.

"We are located on rt 33 near the junction of rt 1 which is close to the IN border. We are an hour from Effingham, IL; two hours from Champaign, IL; about five hours from Chicago, IL; an hour from Terre Haute, IN and about two and a half hours from Indianapolis, IN."

I hope someone can help him out!
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you send that to a local rescue? I would look up either Lucky Star or CKCS. Someone needs to get him out!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

From another source:

Cavalier rescue did call them and they were told that the person who has him would not have any problem placing him. They also said they would not release him without the proper paperwork and were waiting on that.

Unfortunately.....it is rare that someone on petfinder will release a Cavalier to rescue. Don't know all of the reasons...but think a big part of it is the money. The adoption fees on Cavaliers are pretty significant. Just my personal opinion. I'm often rebuffed and told to basically mind my own business when I call and ask another group or individual if they will consider releasing to rescue. That's why I was so amazed and incredibly grateful to the woman that allowed me to place Jitterbug for her. One of her comments to me was that she knew I know Cavaliers and would be able to properly screen for an appropriate home. I knew what they needed. I was so thankful she was so open.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

We have the same problems over here. Many shelters/pounds won't release dogs to rescues.

Post Thanks / Like

Why?! At least rescues will vet properly, and in the case of breed rescues, make sure the new owners know what they're taking on in terms of temperament, health issues etc. I'd have thought pounds would jump at it!!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

If he were a lab/shepherd mix, they would jump at the offer to get them into a rescue. They will place that boy in hours if not days. The last time we had one in a shelter here, he was gone before I got there. It's not necessarily the money, they usually charge something nominal, I think they want to be able to offer desirable breeds in addition to the hard to place, to get people in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Beg to differ Nancy on the money part . It's not unsual to ask $600 in adoption fees for a Cavalier whereas a mixed breed will bring in $50 max. A Cavalier is easy to adopt out...there are over 15,000 lab mixes on petfinder right now compared to 66 Cavaliers.

But I do agree with you about wanting to get people in with this breed.

I get a lot of flack from general rescues because of my "elitist" attitude in taking in Cavaliers. I've heard "if you care so much about Cavaliers why don't you care so much for all of the other dogs out there?" Well....Cavaliers are where my heart it.
    Cathy

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, this is a humane society, that is what I was referring to, not the private rescues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    Cathy, this is a humane society, that is what I was referring to, not the private rescues.
    Gotcha. Yes, that makes sense.
    Cathy

Post Thanks / Like

There is the $20 microchipping fee for all animals. The adoption fee for unaltered dogs is the cost of the spay or neuter which runs between $65 to $140 depending on the weight of the dog at the time of surgery. There is also the $20 adoption fee to the shelter. All animals will be spayed or neutered prior to adoption.

I'd be willing to pitch in costs to get him out of there and get him to a rescue. Is that what it would take?? He's so precious I want him to go to someone good! I'd take him but Wesley is just 16 weeks and DH would kill me. He wants to wait a little longer for another doggy.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!