Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOMED: Gorgeous 1 yr old Tricolor, Pearce

Post Thanks / Like

My Wesley:

Could you take him for a minute just to "get him out of there" until you can hand him over to a reputable rescue?
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are a lot of reasons pounds and shelters do not like to work with rescue. Amongst them is they feel the breed rescues cherry pick their easiest to place dogs and don;t help on the breeds they are overstocked with. Also that a breed rescue will then get a large fee for placing the dog while the shelter will just charge the routine charge -- so they are concerend some breed rescues or smaller rescues only want the dogs they can make money off. Also -- by handing over the dog with no fee to a rescue, they do not recuperate the costs they have put into boarding the dog etc or (on the grimmer side) that they get for every dog pts (many pounds get a payment towards each dog they pts as there are obviously costs involved in that).

In my experience what is really needed is for local breed or general rescues to build relationships with the local shelters and pounds. In some cases this means months or even years of work. Here in Ireland, Tara was the very first person to work, along with Lisa, in opening up access to the main Dublin pound at Ashton. This took a LONG LONG time of getting the staff there to understand she wanted to help. Initially they charged rescue for taking out dogs -- eventually that was waived, but many pounds continue to charge rescue, which is an ongoing issue for many cash-strapped rescues (for a litter of puppies they get charged €25 PER PUPPY for example -- you can see how that depletes rescue funds).

I guess with shelters you need to imagine the reverse -- you have lots of hard to place dogs and one really cute puppy and every time you have a cute puppy someone wants to 'help' you by taking it and leaving all the others behind. That can make people feel resentful even though from our perspective, we are trying to help. I'd say as soon as there are more cavaliers than can find homes, shelters and pounds will turn them gladly over to rescue.

For us in Ireland, we have to leave the dog in the pound for its mnadatory 5 days to be recliamed, If no one also books the dog (eg wants to home it) during that time, then they give it to rescue. If someone wants to home it, they usually don't give it to us (though some wardens will turn over surrenders right away as techinally they can be pts immediately or generally after 24 hours so have a lot chance of being rehomed. They are always our priority dogs to get out).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby and Sydney here,

"Pearce was turned in by a local breeder because he is too big for the breed standards. He is just over 1 yr old and weighs about 25 pounds."

This makes us furious. A wonderful little Cavalier pushed out for something as simple as being too "large". This is not a true cavalier breeder. No reputable Cavalier breeder would turn such a beautiful dog in to a place like this. Today is Ruby's birthday so maybe this is an omen. I'll make sure Mom and Dad send an email tonight. Dad and Mom love Cavaliers and would be more than happy to go to Indiana to help Pearce. I'll let you know what they say and how things turn out.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

We're with you Ruby and Sydney!! I can't imagine that this is a true Cavalier breeder.

Correct me if I'm wrong you wonderful breeders out there...but I'm gonna bet if you had one that was "too big" you wouldn't turn it into a shelter but instead would find it a loving home. Am I right?
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ruby and Sydney

Keep us up to date with what Mom & dad are up to - hopefully they will be able to help even if its just short term

Merls and Oaks
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

I left the computer on with the PetFinder web site up. Dad saw it and sent an email. He got an application back today and he is filling it in and sending it back. Wish us luck. We'll help Pearce however we can.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job guys! Keep us posted.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Ruby - let us know if you are going to get a new 'brother'

Post Thanks / Like

YAY! I'd love to hear how it goes. If it falls through, I will try as well, as I'm just 5 hours from there. And then I could place him with actual rescue personnel. That just was awful to me that they were getting rid of him due to his weight.

Glad to hear someone else can possibly help!
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at Pearce again on Petfinder and it now says PENDING! I hope this is for you Ruby & Sydney!
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!