• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much water??

Claire L

I've noticed that Minnie doesn't drink very much water. I change it frequently and I've also given her an ice- cube to lick (from my hand) but she very seldom goes to the bowl herself. I soak her Burns nuts in water prior to feeding as she had a tooth extracted so I don't want her to hurt her gums. Should I be concerned ? I've started her on Dr Petals Elixirs to help with her separation anxiety and she is definitely better.
It's just that Rudee drank lots of water (she was on diuretics) so I'm not sure how much Minnie should be drinking. Any advice greatly appreciated.

:flwr:

Hi Claire,

I don't know specifically how much water they are supposed to drink but I think as long as little Minnie Moo ( I LOVE IT! ) is drinking when she sees fit and she doesn't seem lethargic or dehydrated she should be fine! :)

That's just my 2 cents though.. good luck!! :flwr:

I agree. If Minnie Moo does not seem to be dehydrated, she is regulating herself. Just keep out fresh water. Just like humans vary in how much water they need, dogs do as well. Buddy does not drink often but when he drinks he drinks a lot. Hadley drinks small amounts throughout the day and also loves to eat ice cubes. Buddy will eat ice cubes sometimes but mostly just stares at me as though to say "Is that the best you can do? I want real treats!" :roll: Personally, Claire, I think you and Minnie Moo are doing great. (y)

If you're soaking the Burns, Minnie won't actually need much additional water - don't worry, most dogs know what they need and will help themselves as long as there is clean water available.

Rudee would have been drinking a lot more due to the diuretics :( :flwr: :flwr:

It might be worth giving Minnie cooled, boiled water - some dogs prefer it.

I agree, as long as the water is available, she will take what she needs. Sofee Marie doesn't drink much during the day at all because she is crated most of the time when we are at work (she has dog walkers twice a day), but when we get home and go for a long walk and lots of playtime, she drinks quite a bit. And as with Buddy, when she does drink she has quite a bit. I think she gets distracted and then all of a sudden she is parched and sprints for the bowl! :paw:
Best of luck with Minnie Moo Clair! :flwr:

Gus drinks morning evening and maybe once during the day. pippin appears to be always at the water bowl but drinks smaller amounts.

In summer it's a worry how little Gus drinks on the hottest days, but he seems fine. :flwr:

Back