• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worming medication causing diahorrea?

george108

Just looking for some advice from anyone that could help. George was given medication for lungworms a few days ago and has since developed severe diahorrea. He took 5ml of Parazole for 2 days and has had diahorrea since. We stopped the medication and his food and have him on Royal Canin duck and rice. We brought him to the vet last night and he said that his temperature was fine and it had to run his course. Does anyone have any idea how long this lasts? We're so worried about him as it just doesn't seem to be easing up.

Sorry to hear this - yes some wormers can cause diarrhoea - that's what started my interest in homoeopathy to begin with!!

It's good that you've been to the vet - but personally I would starve George for at least 12 hours, just offering small amounts of water.

Then put him on something very bland - boiled chicken and rice {cooked}, or baked potato, and a small amount of live {BIO} natural yoghurt, to put the healthy bacteria back. Just offer a couple of tablespoons four times a day.

Once his stomach has settled on this, then gradually reintroduce the kibble - duck is quite rich so that might be making things worse.

Hope George will be feeling better soon - if he is very lethargic or there is blood in the poo, then get him straight back to your vet.

Poor little George sure is having a rough time isn't he? I have no answer just wanted to express my empathy.

Nicki said:
Sorry to hear this - yes some wormers can cause diarrhoea - that's what started my interest in homoeopathy to begin with!!

It's good that you've been to the vet - but personally I would starve George for at least 12 hours, just offering small amounts of water.

Then put him on something very bland - boiled chicken and rice {cooked}, or baked potato, and a small amount of live {BIO} natural yoghurt, to put the healthy bacteria back. Just offer a couple of tablespoons four times a day.

Once his stomach has settled on this, then gradually reintroduce the kibble - duck is quite rich so that might be making things worse.

Hope George will be feeling better soon - if he is very lethargic or there is blood in the poo, then get him straight back to your vet.

Or instead of just water, some broth or pedialyte. If he's had diarrhea, his electrolyte balance may be off. Think of how you feel when you've had the flu. Start solids slowly(sometimes I will do many small meals to see how the gut reacts-- probiotics, a bit of natural yogurt- easy to digest overcooked rice with some chicken.

That's a good point Sandy - this is my favourite broth recipe:

5 cups water
2 chicken wings
small carrot
stick of celery
1/2 sm potato
sm pinch of salt {to replace lost sodium etc}

Bring to the boil and simmer until the chicken is soft.
Leave to cool a bit and strain - I keep the chicken for later but dispose of the veg.
Once cold, strain off the fat.

They can manage quite well on this for a few days, and it seems to help through a bad patch of diarrhoea.

Lady was a little loose when she had her worming tablets but she was fine the next day. Have you contacted the vets to let them know could they have given him a bigger dose than he needed. Or could he be sensitve to the ingredients. Poor boy

thanks for that recipe nicki i will have to print that off and keep it handy.

Thank you all so much for the advice. George was with my sister today as I had to work. She noticed small drops of blood so she bought him to the vet straight away where he gave him an injection. I've just been with him now and he's in fine form! He's been sleeping quite a bit but overall he seems slightly better. Thanks for the recipes, I will definitely try them.

Cathy T, yes he is having a hard time. We were so relieved when we heard that his trachea didn't appear to be collapsed and now this! He's such a good natured little chap though. I can tell by him that he feels really bad but he still comes over for hugs and still manages to wag his tail! I think the poor little guy needs a break from it all now. No more tests, we'll just keep a very close eye on him and let him enjoy life!

Hi there
I'm sorry your baby isn't well, I have sent you a private message, please read it as I have had a very similar experience.

all good wishes

Back