Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coughing :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coughing :-(

Hi everyone, and Happy Christmas,

I'm worried about my boy at the moment. According to the vet his heart has sounded 'terrible' for about a year now, but he's never really coughed that much before (he's 14 and has had a mumur since he was about 7). The last few days he's been coughing really badly though Can hear him hacking during the night and he coughs after he's been lying down for a little while. Am worried that this is the beginning of the end Hate hearing him cough away. It's horrible.

I guess other people here must have been through similar things with their precious babies. What should I do/expect over the next few weeks? We're going to Wales tomorrow for Christmas, which will be at least a 4 hour drive. Worried that the whole trip will be too much for him. His back legs are also getting progressively weaker and seizing up now and then (although they have been better recently).

My poorly boy Can't bear the thoight of being without him
    Pepsi x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Pepsi,
    So sorry to hear of this development in your boy's health. This is so heartbreaking, and we do have members who have been through Mitral Valve disease who can offer you advice. Remember, you are not alone - we are here for you.

Is he on any heart medications? If so, has your vet tried adjusting the dosage to get an improvement?

If it were me I would consider postponing the trip if at all possible to be near the vet.

I had a phone conversation with my vet about my 14.5 year old dog when I realized her end was near (she had severe arthritis/mobility problems). He was very kind, patient, and helpful in explaining everything. They helped me through the entire process, and I still find comfort in that. Putting my old/sick doggy's needs before my own frees me from having any regrets.

Here are some links that might be helpful for MVD:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2933

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3370
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly sounds like an episode that one of my girls had about 2 months ago except she had trouble with breathing (edema). So, she's been put on Enalapril & Lasix and has really done very well.

I'd definitely give my vet a call before leaving. It doesn't take long to get them started on the meds if he needs it. Esp. if he has fluid build-up around his heart.

Who can think about life without them? I tell my two girls every day that I just can't imagine life in our house w/out them there. I'll be thinking about you & your guy over the holidays.

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry Pepsi is feeling so poorly. This is definitely the place to ask questions. I've yet to have this experience so can't offer more than my prayers and hugs.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. Those links were very helpul.

He's on Fortekor and Frusemide. I've given him a little more Frusemide than usual today (just an extra dose), and he's sleeping happily at the moment. He seems a little better. I'm taking him to the vet this evening, just to be on the safe side (he seems to be there almost every week at the moment!). Guess we'll decide what to do about the trip to Wales based on what the vet says. If it were just up to me, we would stay here. But my partner thinks I'm overreacting a bit, and thinks that Charlie will be fine. We're going to a cottage near to his parents, so he'd be very disappointed not to go.

Grr! Don't know what to do Wish we were staying here, but would feel terrible pulling out.

Pepsi x

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what the vet says. Hope he's feeling better soon.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hope he feels better and thinking about you.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

good luck--i hope it will just be an episode and that changes in meds can ease the coughing. sorry you have to go through this, and that charlie does.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, the extra lasix will give Charlie some relief.

When our Charley would start coughing, the extra dose usually helped a lot.

They cough because of the fluid build-up, as previously stated.

What a darling boy!

Hope Charlie and yourself are feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you because Izzy is exactly the same. We went to the vets yesterday and he suggested, as i had done anyway, upping his Frusicare. He seems fine during the day but coughs during thet night, in a very shrill way, whereas before, he only coughed first thinga dna couple of times a day and very briefly.

I've been sleeping downstairs with him, as he usually comes upstairs with us, but I felt that , like with me, the cold night air was making him cough.
    We don't have the central heating on , as it suits neither of us and, in fact , ubntil the weekend, he seemrd to be thriving on the cooler weather.

Another thing was that his eyes went sort of horizontal and puffy round the membrane surrounding the socket. Fran's boy has been off too and he had bad eyes, though her vet treated for infection and mine reckonned (it had cleared up when we saw him) that the swelling was probably due to extra hard coughing.

Let's hope these boys are just having the temporary effects of this odd foggy weather and that it will soon clear up.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.