Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ascites and fluid rebuilding

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default ascites and fluid rebuilding

NOTE: I have also cross-posted this to the MVD forum but I know that different people are on different lists and I'm trying to get as much information as I can.

Hi....

Here's a new question. Gizmo did not get better and we took him to the vet yesterday (Friday) for a quick check. Last night was awful in the way many of you must be familiar with---he couldn't get comfortable, he was struggling for breath. I apologized many times to him during the night for putting him through this. We went in again today not know whether there was anything else to be done or whether we might have him put down.

Turns out he had quite a fluid build up in his abdomen. The vet was able to get out 450 cc (almost a pound) of fluid. It did not seem to be a painful procedure. Now we're home again (he has quite a little pouch of fluid on his abdomen where additional fluid leaked out...I think we could have gotten more but we all were exhausted).

He is breathing noticeable better. He was quite hungry for dinner and his tail was wagging but he's exhausted.

A long introduction to the question---what have you experienced with this procedure? Does the fluid build up quite rapidly again? By rapidly I mean in a couple of days. I think we would be willing to go through this again within a week if all of his other signs remain good (wagging tail, attention to what is going on around him, good appetite).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Margaret
    Margaret, Newton, MA - Gadget (blenheim), Sasha (ruby), Wyatt (blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that you were able to make Gizmo more comfortable.

If you google "ascites" you might get a better idea of where to go with this.

Our Charley never got ascites, his fluid build-up was in his lungs and yes, it can happen very quickly.

I would "up" his dosage of furosemide if he got too bad, it worked for awhile.

Best wishes, we're thinking of you and Gizmo.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it totally depends how long it takes to build up. Some dogs quickly. Others weeks or it may not come back.... Sorry your boy is having such a rough time... What did the vet say about changing his meds or is there anything else you can do?
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gizmo.....

I'm sorry to say that we got word today that Gizmo's kidneys are failing. The vets did blood tests before we did anything with new or different diuretics and the values were very very bad for kidney functions. Just a month ago, they were perfectly fine. He hasn't had any appetite which I guess is another sign the kidneys are failing.

I think from the conversation that my husband and the vet had that it is just a matter of a few days now. We plan to do everything we can to make him comfortable and will make the difficult decision to put him down if he seems in distress.

This is all very hard.

Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Margaret, I am so sorry to hear that Gizmo's kidneys are failing.

This must be such an awful and painful time for you. Lucky are thinking of you and hoping you enjoy and treasure every moment you have left with your wonderful boy.

Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gizmo.....

thank you for your quick reply. i know that i should go to bed but i'm putting it off because of what may happen tomorrow. you know magical thinking and everything.

anyway, thanks for the note. i appreciate the thoughts.

margaret

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry that this is happening to Gizmo Margaret. Life just not seem fair sometimes. It is so difficult to let go of a best friend but sometimes it is even more difficult to watch them suffer. Will be thinking of you and Gizmo....Take care Mary
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret--I'm so sorry to hear that Gizmo isn't doing well. I know the decision and timing must be very hard to sort out. I know you'll just know when it's time and Gizmo will appreciate your loving him enough to let him rest. He looks like such a precious little boy and it sounds like you're a wonderful mommie.

Many prayers and hugs to you.
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a blessing that we can euthanize our pets. I have had to have elderly dogs put to sleep twice. It was very difficult but I have never looked back and wished that I had not done it. The first time I kept asking my Vet if it was time and he told me I would know. As hard as it was I did know. We got to say good-bye and I got to hold each of them as they went. It is a special moment with a dog you have loved and has been with you for a long time. Try to cherish the memories of his life with you and the thought of the Rainbow Bridge (which I find so comforting). Will be thinking of you.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy