• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ascites and fluid rebuilding

toblerone

NOTE: I have also cross-posted this to the MVD forum but I know that different people are on different lists and I'm trying to get as much information as I can.

Hi....

Here's a new question. Gizmo did not get better and we took him to the vet yesterday (Friday) for a quick check. Last night was awful in the way many of you must be familiar with---he couldn't get comfortable, he was struggling for breath. I apologized many times to him during the night for putting him through this. We went in again today not know whether there was anything else to be done or whether we might have him put down.

Turns out he had quite a fluid build up in his abdomen. The vet was able to get out 450 cc (almost a pound) of fluid. It did not seem to be a painful procedure. Now we're home again (he has quite a little pouch of fluid on his abdomen where additional fluid leaked out...I think we could have gotten more but we all were exhausted).

He is breathing noticeable better. He was quite hungry for dinner and his tail was wagging but he's exhausted.

A long introduction to the question---what have you experienced with this procedure? Does the fluid build up quite rapidly again? By rapidly I mean in a couple of days. I think we would be willing to go through this again within a week if all of his other signs remain good (wagging tail, attention to what is going on around him, good appetite).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Margaret

I'm glad that you were able to make Gizmo more comfortable.

If you google "ascites" you might get a better idea of where to go with this.

Our Charley never got ascites, his fluid build-up was in his lungs and yes, it can happen very quickly.

I would "up" his dosage of furosemide if he got too bad, it worked for awhile.

Best wishes, we're thinking of you and Gizmo. :flwr: :flwr:

I think it totally depends how long it takes to build up. Some dogs quickly. Others weeks or it may not come back.... :( Sorry your boy is having such a rough time... What did the vet say about changing his meds or is there anything else you can do?

Gizmo.....

I'm sorry to say that we got word today that Gizmo's kidneys are failing. The vets did blood tests before we did anything with new or different diuretics and the values were very very bad for kidney functions. Just a month ago, they were perfectly fine. He hasn't had any appetite which I guess is another sign the kidneys are failing.

I think from the conversation that my husband and the vet had that it is just a matter of a few days now. We plan to do everything we can to make him comfortable and will make the difficult decision to put him down if he seems in distress.

This is all very hard.

Margaret

Margaret, I am so sorry to hear that Gizmo's kidneys are failing.

This must be such an awful and painful time for you. Lucky are thinking of you and hoping you enjoy and treasure every moment you have left with your wonderful boy.

:hug:

:flwr:

Gizmo.....

thank you for your quick reply. i know that i should go to bed but i'm putting it off because of what may happen tomorrow. you know magical thinking and everything.

anyway, thanks for the note. i appreciate the thoughts.

margaret

I am so sorry that this is happening to Gizmo Margaret. Life just not seem fair sometimes. It is so difficult to let go of a best friend but sometimes it is even more difficult to watch them suffer. Will be thinking of you and Gizmo....Take care Mary

Margaret--I'm so sorry to hear that Gizmo isn't doing well. I know the decision and timing must be very hard to sort out. I know you'll just know when it's time and Gizmo will appreciate your loving him enough to let him rest. He looks like such a precious little boy and it sounds like you're a wonderful mommie.

Many prayers and hugs to you. :flwr:

I think it is a blessing that we can euthanize our pets. I have had to have elderly dogs put to sleep twice. It was very difficult but I have never looked back and wished that I had not done it. The first time I kept asking my Vet if it was time and he told me I would know. As hard as it was I did know. We got to say good-bye and I got to hold each of them as they went. It is a special moment with a dog you have loved and has been with you for a long time. Try to cherish the memories of his life with you and the thought of the Rainbow Bridge (which I find so comforting). Will be thinking of you.

oh Margaret I'm so sorry to hear this dreadful news.

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and Gizmo - we're all here for you. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I'm sure you will know when it's time - if possible, ask your vet to come out to your house - I think the dog is calmer in their own home. I know it's really hard but the kindest thing you can do is to be with them at the end.

Maybe have some of Gizmo's favourite treats prepared - we gave Peaches some prawns, her favourite, and she was so busy concentrating on those she wasn't aware of what the vet was doing...

Thinking of you and sending comforting thoughts, and wishes for a peaceful parting when it is time.

Gizmo-update

I thought I'd let all of you who were so kind to respond know that Gizmo is still hanging in there. He is not eating at all but is drinking, We've stopped his medications. His mostly sleeps and one or the other of us tries to be with him. We're watching to see if he seems in discomfort. If his breathing becomes very labored we will end his suffering. But he's not stretching his neck out and seems able to breath easily when lying down. I'm sure it is not long now.

We had our almost 16 year old rescue dog put down on the 1st of August so I know that this can be a peaceful end. We're hoping that Gizmo dies at home. But as I said, we won't let him suffer.

His full brother, Gadget, (same parents different litter) is staying close by his side and is positioning himself so that Gizmo can rest his head on him. Our newest addition. Sasha, is not so accomodating but since he's only 7 months old we don't expect him to be. But he's not bothering him the way he did when Gizmo felt better.

My husband and I both feel we're living in suspended animation now. But we also know that this is just for a few days and we're willing to give up our regular schedules for this short time.

Thank you again for your good wishes and kind thoughts.

Margaret

My heart just aches for you Margaret and your family and Gizmo. Even though you try to prepare yourself and you know it is inevitable and right it is so very difficult. It is like having your arm ripped off. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Gentle hugs for Gizmo.

Take care
Mary

Oh Margaret I am so very sorry to hear Gizmo isn't doing so well :(
I think it's lovely the way Gadget is rallying around his brother and being there for him - they are so clever and just seem to 'sense' these things.

I don't know what to say to comfort you as I know that nothing can but just try to enjoy his final days with him and then remember all the good times you have had together.

Toby will be waiting for him when it's his time to cross the bridge *ng*l

Take care :hug: to you and your family :hug: & gentle :hug:s for Gizmo xxxxx

I'm so sorry to hear about Gizmo, he is very lucky to have a family like you to take such care of him.

Back