• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do I

sannie

...go about clipping their nails? I have seen the nail clippers in the pet shop and I havn't had Max's nails clipped ever - I know there's a danger of cutting a vein? I think. Should I ask my vet?

Beats me. After 4 years I'm still not comfortable and have my groomer do it once a month when she bathes and trims them.

I do my own. I always steer very clear of where the pink starts in their nails. You are just supposed to clip the white part. If the dogs has black nails, I don't know what the trick is there. But Cathy, I am like you too! I always get so scared when I am doing it! I have nipped Izzy only once, but she cried like a baby. It's always good to have some alcohol nearby just in case :) And yes, the vet can teach you. That is who taught me. :flwr:

For the lighter nails, go below the vein but black nails are trickier.

A groomer told me to "feel for a ridge" and cut below it.

Unfortunately, that was after our Charley had passed away, so I never got to try it out.

Haven't done Mary Alices' nails....she's too skittish so I had them done at the vets when she was microchipped.

We did Charleys' nails for years but did snip him a couple of times, always the black ones.

Good luck. :flwr:

sannie said:
...go about clipping their nails? I have seen the nail clippers in the pet shop and I havn't had Max's nails clipped ever - I know there's a danger of cutting a vein? I think. Should I ask my vet?

First, get your dog used to you playing with their feet.
I did 347 individual nail trims last week. Each of our dog/pup has between 16 - 19. Practice does make it easier (I still made one dog bleed :>( ) Right when I went to cut she pushed her paw toward me.
If you have a dog that can't stay still-- double team them. We have someone either hold or pet a dog that hates to have his nails done and the other does the nails. Until you feel in control-- cut small amounts off and look at the end of the nail. You will begin to see where you should stop. It is better to cut one nail 3+ times than have to get the darn nail to stop bleeding. Get a styptic or some other substance to help stop the bleeding. The dog may jerk and you may go too far-- it happens. An unlit match held to the end of the nail can stop the bleeding if it is just a little.

RELAX-- a dog can tell when you are stressed. If you only cut two nails a day-- it still gets done.

Zippy said:
Sandy, do you feel for a ridge on the nail??

How do you do the dark ones?? Tx. :flwr:

If you allow your dogs nails to grow out and they don't get enough abrasion from walks etc,,, they,,, grow differently as they get long. It is much easier to show than to explain. I have parti colored cavaliers- so I can SEE the pink vein. That makes it much easier.

When we cut my daughters, mils ruby cavalier, we cut half of what we think we need to cut and the just cut slivers of nails off until you see the inner nail change in appearance.

I do both of my boys - I only need to do the dew claws as I do 20 mins every week roadwalk to wear the normal ones down.

I use human nail clippers to do the dew claws as I found the dog nail clippers a bit cumbersome to use especially when you have to move all the hair away to find the nail and then I just nip the tip off - that way I know I wont cut too deep. I'd rather tip the nails more often than try and cut a large amount off :D

The human nail clippers work good, and I bought a cats nail clippers also worked better for me then the dogs.
judy

Here is an excellent link from Karlin about trimming nails; it is from the "Caring for your Cavalier" section:
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2421

The more often you trim their nails, the easier it gets. I used to be nervous when I trimmed their nails, and my hubster had to hold them. Now India and Geordie will lay on their backs on the floor, and I can trim them by myself, no problem. :) Chocolate has black nails, which are not as easy, so I have hubster hold her when I'm trimming.

Back