• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Car Sick

Hollyett

Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a nice sunday. Yesterday john and me took Holly for a ride to the beach as it was lovely and sunny. The drive took just over an hour and when we arrived she was sick in the car. She has been sick once before a while ago in the car. so Im guessing its car sickness, should I give her something next time we go on a longer journey, Ive seen journey remedys in the pet shop. Any ideas from anyone on this would be appreciated.

Can you put her in a crate? Then she won't be able to move around as much... Kosmo got sick in the car twice. :( Now I put a carseat harness on him and hook it up to the seatbelt so he can't move as much. ;)

Hollyett said:
Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a nice sunday. Yesterday john and me took Holly for a ride to the beach as it was lovely and sunny. The drive took just over an hour and when we arrived she was sick in the car. She has been sick once before a while ago in the car. so Im guessing its car sickness, should I give her something next time we go on a longer journey, Ive seen journey remedys in the pet shop. Any ideas from anyone on this would be appreciated.

I used to show a dog that would get car sick. She would have to be bathed again at the show site. She felt awful-- she looked ill. Lets just say-- we stopped showing her and now that she turned 4 -- she still gets car sick sometimes. Someone suggested ginger -- I don't remember what it was in, but it is suppose to calm the stomach.

Oh yes definitely - I just started on a new medication and that made me feel sick. As long as I eat ginger nuts I'm okay!

a few drops of rescue remedy can help if given about an hr before you travel

Half a human ginger biscuit about 1/2hr before the journey can help {the ginger warms the stomach}.

There are also homoeopathic remedies that can help.

It's also worth trying putting a pile of bedding under the dog, to absorb some of the vibrations - a large piece of thick foam can work. I know this worked for a Sheltie - and it works 99% of the time for TedBear - he is still occasionally sick, but usually as he is getting out or just after he's got out of the car fortunately.

Try witholding food for at least 4 hrs before a long journey [for adult dogs]

If Holly starts to get anxious about going in the car, then you gradually need to build up good associations with it, such as feeding her in the car, playing with her near and in the car, then short journeys to really nice walks etc.

HOpe this helps.

Nicki said:
I know this worked for a Sheltie

I believe that to be my Rosie! ;)

We tried everything we could think of and then our trainer told us to try putting a thick slab of foam about 4inch thick in the boot, covered with a cover/blanket or two...and it worked.
It absorbs the vibrations from the road and it really helped her.

Worth a try.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

:D :D :D

I think it might well be Alison - thanks for the tip. definitely one worth sharing :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks for all the advice, I do use a seatbelt harness but she still moves around quite abit, so I will try more padding, slao the ginger biscuits. On the journey home I did sit with her at the back which calmed her.

My bobo gets car sick too. Don't feed him before your trip and about a half hour before your trip give him a half of a dramamine tablet. That is what worked for us.
judy

Back