• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When does barking start?

cavalicious

I was curious as to when your puppies started barking? Ollie had only barked twice since I brought him home and never again. I'm quite happy with this though! :lol:

So when did your guys start? I hope Ollie doesn't bark untill his 1 ;)

Gracie is 15 weeks....she very rarely barks, but she does do it. Pretty much only when she's playing or is confused. She has other noises for different emotions, but doesn't bark much. She'll bark more as she gets older?

Tucker did not bark all that much until this past June when he found his bark. It only happened after he socialized with other dogs and played with them. He was 13 months old at the time. Since he started he hasn't stopped, but most of it is when he's outside in the backyard and a squirrel has the audacity to climb one of the trees in the front yard. He stands on his hind legs at the gate, with his nose sticking out of the picket fence, and barks like mad. One day he was barking and sounded agitated when I got to the gate, there was another dog, loose in our front yard he was nose to nose with Tucker, on the other side of the gate. Tucker was still on his hind legs, barking right back, which really surprised me. I thought he would have been frightened. Maybe he felt secure behind the gate and he got bold. Around the house he doesn't bark unless someone comes to the door, or our play is getting too vigorous for me and I stop throwing whatever it is we're tossing about. He'll try to convince me to continue with a bark or two.

Yes, Holly does this too. When she really wants to play she yips.

Amber is not a huge barker although since she's discovered the back of the sofa (or the arm of it at my parents') and her territorial instincts, she barkier than she used to be. We still get the odd 'woo' though. And she's very vocal (squealing, growling, moaning) when playing.

We have a pretty active house and Wesley gets a lot of play with me and my two kids. When he was a tiny pup, he didn't bark. Now he's 16 weeks and he will TOTALLY bark at you if he wants to play. Only a few times has he barked at anything outside though.

It all depends on the dogs personality. Some bark more than others. They are rather cute when they are 4 weeks old and they start barking at each other..

Haha, Sandy! I visited Wesley's littermates when they were all 4 1/2 weeks and I know exactly what you're talking about. It was THE CUTEST, tiny little bark ever!

All I have to say is, enjoy the silence while it lasts!!! Zoey sounds like a little terror while she chases Cody around the house. Cody was a big barker even when he was itty bitty!

I just adore that precious little purrrrrbark that 4 week old pups do. It's like they can't figure out if they want to growl or bark! :lol:

My question is when do they stop? LOL! Darla is the loudest dog ever! She barked at about 10 weeks and hasn't stopped... Her bark is very deep, she sounds like a little hound! Thank god, Charlie is not a barker, but Darla is being a bad influence!!!

thats a good one ...i would like to know as well ...one of mine is a barker she is 5 and still hasn't learnt when she barks at fresh air she has to come in ...not the brightest bulb in the lampshade :yikes

Back