Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So sad tonight...Rudy is struggling

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this with Rudy

It's good that he's a bit more comfortable today - it is a very hard balancing act with the medication, you need to keep adjusting the doses until you find what works for him.

I don't know that I'd want to put one of my dogs through that procedure for just a few days relief, financial considerations aside - I'm not sure that a vet will carry it out that frequently anyway. I think maybe you should be asking the vet at looking at a different diuretic? Could you get to a cardiologist?

I hope that Rudy keeps as well as possible for as long as possible
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't offer any advice as I have no experience but I'm so sorry for you going through this distressing time. I'll mention you and Rudy in my prayers tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear what poor Rudy is going through. Thinking of you and wishing you all well

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read about Rudy and his difficulties.
    Your description fits a boy of mine to a T - I was on my way to have him euthanised as I couldn't bear to watch him unable to lie down or sitting with his head in the air to try to gain more oxygen. My vet had a newish tablet called Vetmedin (Pimobendan in the States). We tried it and within a week my boy was almost a puppy again. I had a further wonderful twelve months with him.
    I could be mistaken but I understood Furosemide acted fairly quickly, couldn't you give him his regular dose with time for it to act before you go to work. I don't think the see-sawing of the dose is a good idea. What about putting a belly band with a pad on him while you are out?
    I could imagine the clawing at the crate could be he is almost claustrophobic because he is struggling to breathe.
    I do hope you can sort things out for the little chap, as horrible as MVD is, it can usually be managed with a good vet, at least until all options have been tried.
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Even getting up early enough to give him furosemide and then getting him out for a wee 45-60 minutes later will probably solve any leaking. My SM boy was on furosemide for a while and as long as he had a wee within 45-90 minutes of having the pill, he was fine after that 99% of the time. A belly band would solve any drips.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terri

So very sorry to hear how poorly little Rudy is I agree with Karlin about how quickly the Frusemide works. Maxx is on it for SM and he usually gets the side effects within 90 minutes then he goes to the garden and pees for England!

I hope you can find a reasonably affordable treatment for your little man and that he has many years left yet. for you both

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terri,

How is Rudy doing how? He is beautiful. I also have a boy with MVD, and like you we give him more diuretics when we're at home all day. Is Rudy on Vetmedin (Pimobendan)? Charlie has been on this a little over a month, and it definitely seems to be helping him.

Thinking of you,
    Pepsi x