• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leptospirosis in Southern Ontario

Zippy

For the folks in Southern Ontario, there was an article in yesterdays' Toronto Sun, warning about racoons and leptospirosis.

Apparently, lepto can be spread to humans from dogs licking your face and the incidents are way up in the GTA.

This is due mainly to the raccoons being infected.

"Dogs may be exposed to the bacteria through urine-contaminated water...."

Cats are immune to leptospirosis.

The article was called "Beware of Raccoons" by Marilyn Linton.

:sl*p: arg... to lepto to not lepto, that's been the debate for 3 mths!! :cry*ing: i change my mind daily :?

Kodee said:
:sl*p: arg... to lepto to not lepto, that's been the debate for 3 mths!! :cry*ing: i change my mind daily :?

There are many strains of Lepto-- that is part of my dilemma too

I had my Dominique come down with a strange illness a year ago-- fever of 104.4- she was sick (lethargy, she vomited her dinner from the night before) and it happened fast. Ran her to the vets and the first thing out of my mouth was " she isn't vaccinated for lepto". He kept her - gave her iv antibiotics (supportive care)-- she had diarrhea while there- 24 hours later she was 95% better. She didn't have lepto-- but we took her illness very seriously, just in case.

Mary Alice is going for her shots this afternoon.

I'll post my vets' take on it later on....early evening-ish! ;D

We have raccoons living in a shed next door and a pond in the garden!!

Wonder if Hubby wants to fill in his pond?? :lol:

Sandy, thank heavens for antibiotics!!

If you miss it, it can be fatal.....

We also have a lot of ravines around here, a wildlife paradise! :?

my breeder has had pups with severe + fatal reactions to the vaccine - so for me its a scary choice! both ways - as racoons have been in our yard + neighbour has a pond.

sidenote: i'm learning to type w/1 hand due to puppies that insist on cuddles 24/7, wow slow....

arasara said:
18 hours and I'm outta here, baby ;)
WELL i didnt sleep the night before we got kodee - not a wink. you'd think after babies and a hundred christmases I could learn to act like a grownup and be calmer. You must be jumping with anticipation - enjoy! Cause no doubt you'll be typing here at 1...3....6am with me for a bit!

Kodee said:
arasara said:
18 hours and I'm outta here, baby ;)
WELL i didnt sleep the night before we got kodee - not a wink. you'd think after babies and a hundred christmases I could learn to act like a grownup and be calmer. You must be jumping with anticipation - enjoy! Cause no doubt you'll be typing here at 1...3....6am with me for a bit!

Ahhh no, it doesn't happen. Even when you have a household full-- getting a new family member will keep you up all night. Butterflies in the stomach etc...

WoodHaven said:
Ahhh no, it doesn't happen. Even when you have a household full-- getting a new family member will keep you up all night. Butterflies in the stomach etc...

Oh dear, being a breeder you must loose alot of sleep in a year! :flwr:

This is what our vet said,

1/ if you keep your dog on leash and in a run while in the yard, you probably don't need the lepto shots.

2/he's only had a couple of dogs get leptospirosis but it has a high fatality rate.

3/about 30% of his patients have had the shots, it's up to the owners. :flwr: :flwr:

Zippy said:
This is what our vet said,

1/ if you keep your dog on leash and in a run while in the yard, you probably don't need the lepto shots.

2/he's only had a couple of dogs get leptospirosis but it has a high fatality rate.

3/about 30% of his patients have had the shots, it's up to the owners. :flwr: :flwr:
Oh Zippy, thank you for checking on that for me! :flwr: I appreciates it!

Wow I am really surprised on the 30% of patients having had it - seems very low to me considering how much it has been shoved at me when doing the rounds to meeting new vets. But for me this is good news. Kodee will be only in our backyard for a few mths. When a parks etc she will be leashed - at least I am educated now to not go near water edges, drink from puddles etc.. Then when she is over 10 lbs I can feel better about giving it to her then (with less possibility of a reaction) if I want.

If it makes you feel any better -- I give lepto to every single rescue and to my own each year. That is something like 40-50 lepto vax now and never had even a single reaction to it. Everyone I know doing breed and general rescue gives them routinely as well, so I can say of hundreds and hundreds of rescue dogs that I know have had this injection, I have never heard of a single one having a reaction to it.

The human risks are very real. I know of two people who nearly died from lepto caught simply by kayaking in a nearby river (members of student kayaking club) so I won't risk it for my dogs or for me. And each year there are dogs that do die from lepto in Ireland as we do have it. All mine run off lead in the park and they regularly swim so I would not even consider not giving lepto shots. It is important to get as much info as you can and then make a decision --though it seems to me if a breeder has a lot of dogs having a reaction to the injection suggests this is something within her lines (not that that is a problem with the dogs, just something to be aware of -- to me it sounds like the reaction seems to be genetically linked). I wouldn't generalise to other dogs that reactions are common, however. She seems to have had a particular problem with a vaccine most dogs receive without any problem at all.

Oh I realize that Karlin - look how many cav owners that visit this site like yourself that give lepto with no problem. It's just in my case I know it has been a problem in the past. Hence why I am shocked at the 30% figure. I wouldnt be fussing if I didnt think the vaccine was important.

Back